Saturday, August 27, 2011

$1.19 Car of the Week Trifecta

Well, it took several months, but I finally have collected all three bodystyles of the Cadillac CTS—the original sedan, the Sportwagon, and the new Coupe. I would have liked to find them all in the same color, but beggars can't be choosers, lol. I'm lucky that my Stop & Shop grocery store stocks these inexpensive Matchboxes and Hot Wheels at all. 

I remember Matchbox cars costing close to a dollar apiece back in the 1960s, perhaps 79¢, so it's a really good deal for them to cost only $1.19 forty years later. Of course, they're not made in Britain anymore, but the scale and appearance is still really good. I'm a bit picky when it comes to tiny cars. They all have stamped-in taillights, but many are painted body color, a no-no for me. I will only part with my $1.19 if those taillights are painted red. The same with headlights—the "better" Matchboxes, like these Cadillacs, have tiny decals embedded in the headlight lenses for an even more realistic appearance.

M E A N W H I L E — I'm done with Hurricane Irene preparations. I've taken in all of my potted plants, the porch furniture, cut all of the blooms from my zinnias, dahlias and marigolds, and moved my collections of glass items away from the windows. If it doesn't rain in the next 1/2 hour, I'm going to take a bike ride down to the shore to take some photos of the waterfront preparations. We're supposed to have an unrelated thunderstorm this afternoon, and Irene should be here starting in the wee hours tomorrow and last all day. At least it seems as if the brunt of the storm for us will happen during the daylight hours, always less nerve wracking than a middle-of-the-night storm when you can't see what all the snapping and crashing going around you is. I'm positive I'll be without power for a day or five, but as soon as I can post, I will. I won't be outside like it seems every TV news anchor does these days, but I'll snap some photos looking out the windows during the storm.

S I G H TS   &   S O U N D S — Even without leaving the yard, and even though we're at least 12 hours away from feeling any of the early effects of Irene, it's clear that change is afoot. I can hear many hammers pounding away in town, plywood window covers, for sure. Looking up, flocks of birds seem to be getting out of town, raucously announcing their departure. Crows, ducks, geese, all squawking incessantly as they fly away. On the other hand, car traffic across the train tracks is down to a bare minimum. And I think Amtrak might have suspended some trains. I haven't seen a train in a couple of hours.

11 comments:

  1. Be safe Casey. Down here in the city you'd think the apocalypse was imminent. I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be a lot of wind and rain, but better safe than sorry I guess. The street out front is nice and quiet with the buses no longer running. I'm on a hill, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that Amtrak seems to have stopped, although a Shore Line East commuter train just went by really slowly. Odd to have quiet from the train tracks. I'm sure the city is even odder! I remember in the early 90s there was a subway strike in Manhattan. That was odd to not hear, and feel, the rumbling on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD MORNING,I'LL BE THINKING OF YOU FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. YES, EVEN SAYING LITTLE PRAYER ALL DAY FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS ANYWAYS. I DON'T KNOW WHY I WORRY ABOUT THE ANIMALS SOMETIMES MORE THAN PEOPLE. I JUST HOPE THEY FIND A SAFE PLACE TO HIDE. HAVE YOU NOTICE IF THE BIRDS HAVE LEFT YOUR AREA? THEY MUST HAVE A SIXTH SENSE WHERE TO GO.
    DO YOU HAVE A GENERATOR? IT'S A GOOD THING TO HAVE ON HAND. JUST MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE IT ON THE OUTSIDE WHEN RUNNING IT. TAKE CARE AND TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. No generator, so when the power goes out, that will be that until it's back on. I just told the baby rabbit that seems to have taken a liking to June and I, that she better find a safe place. She won't eat out of our hands, but will stay only a foot or two away when we sit outside. She'll keep coming closer as we talk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the grocery stores were crazy yesterday and this morning. We stopped in the local Duane Reade at 75th and Columbus and there were people looking like they were doing a week's shopping -- in a drug store! Where do they think they live? If you need a battery or milk you're out of luck around here! I guess most of the businesses are closed by now -- everything except the Korean market on the corner -- I'd hate to see what it would take for them to close!

    I hope everyone is safe and secure who will experience whatever is to come.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm as organized as I can be! I have batteries, in the right sizes, next to each flashlight in case I need 'em. I have the tub filled up, 5 vases/pitchers filled up with drinking water, candles and candelabra. I'm planning on staying up all night, so the longer the electricity is on, the better. And beer. Three types of cold beer : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to see what the rabbit looks like. The neighborhood cat that comes to visit was granted a make shift habitat I assembled from an old bench outside. She was given some of my dog's cereal and hope she makes it with her bad foot.

    When I was at my local Waldbaums, I did happen to
    se e a Matchbox Vette on the checkout line. My laugh was kind of loud, remembering that you're a big fan of these little cars. The folks on line asked, what was so funny, I said a friend of mine collects these things, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS- Something might have to be "done" with that S60, Casey, lol.

    The hotel looks nice in the inside, but the funding issue is a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My soon to be 16 year old son came back from Target excited as I have ever seen and I thought maybe he got a job, a love interest or lottery winnings, but instead brought home that same trifecta of CTS's. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Everyone--

    I'm one of Casey's housemates who has electricity (at work) to let you know that we don't have it at home. So, just thought I'd let you know that Casey and everyone else here made it through the storm, and that he'd be posting comments/photos of the aftermath et al once power is restored.

    Take care,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks, June. You're a peach, but then you know that already!

    Cars-n-Tunes: That's hysterical! No, the apple didn't fall far from your tree! : )

    ReplyDelete