I've been practicing my pizza skills lately. Above, one of my better efforts from a few days ago—a cheese-only tomato pie with homemade Marinara sauce, recipe below.
I bought this non-stick pizza pan a few weeks ago at a local discount store. I think it was $2.00! I originally bought it to use in my new art projects, as a stencil. The evenly spaced circular holes were too graphic to pass up. But before I could paint with it, I thought I'd try it for its actual purpose, and was really pleased with how it crisped the bottom pizza dough and allowed the pie to cook evenly. I've since bought a second pan to use for art!
The uncooked pizza just looked so perfect, I had to get my camera, lol. I used grated Romano and shredded part-skim Mozzarella on top of my quick homemade marinara sauce.
Quick Marinara Sauce from Canned Tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can of whole, peeled Italian tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/2 large yellow Spanish onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (give or take a bit)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- Roughly dice the onion and sauté over medium heat in the olive oil until soft
- Add the can of tomato paste into the onion and stir well. Cook for about a minute until well blended. Add the 1/2 cup of water and mix well. A dry white wine could be substituted for the water
- Add the large can of whole, peeled tomatoes and stir.
- Add the pesto, brown sugar, oregano and salt/pepper. Stir well and cover the sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook approximately 20 minutes to half an hour, stirring every few minutes