Friday, December 30, 2011

December Morning Shadows

Stark early morning winter shadows pattern this 19th century portrait of one of my great-great-granduncles. Click on the image to enlarge—it's cool the way the shadows frame his eyes (I think you need to click twice these days to see it full size, or perhaps click on "open in new window." Blogger keeps changing their image formats). The original frame and matting are quite damaged from an almost 100-year stay in my family home's attic. I've restored the frame and matting of the portrait of his father, but I like the originality of this one. I think it's just as important to see an antique in original condition, as it is to see one in perfectly restored condition.

B T W :
Off topic from this family portrait, but still in the area of history, one of casey/artandcolour's readers, and fellow blogger, Steve Prestegard, has written a wonderful blogpost on the historical accomplishments of Cadillac. Besides doing a yeoman's job of research in both text and photos, Steve was kind enough to use several of my "what if" Cadillacs. Please click over to Steve's blog—I guarantee you'll learn something about Cadillac you didn't know. I did, and after a lifetime of studying the history cars, that's not really all that easy if I do say so myself!
  • While Riding in my Cadillac, at the Presteblog, click here.

7 comments:

  1. "I think it's just as important to see an antique in original condition, as it is to see one in perfectly restored condition."

    For a minute there I thought you were talking about me. lol

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the difference between what I see in the mirror now and what I'd look like if I could afford to have everything tightened, snipped, and pulled back where it used to be, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,
    Thanks for the link to 'Presteblog'. That will go on favorites for sure. I was shocked at the number of your illustrations there that I had not seen previously. You should re-run some of your older work occasionally. There seemed to be a lot here that was not on your 'older' section. Great stuff.

    BobF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bob. I'll look through my Photobucket account this week and see what older pieces I can post. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year ,Casey!

    Happy New Year Everyone!


    Andy

    Malibu

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI MALIBU, HNY TO YOU AND THE BBS HERE ON CASEYS BLOG.

    ANTIQUES ARE LOVELY. I LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND LOL AT THE ANTIQUE LOOKING BACK AT ME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete