Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter Abstracts: Slush, Sludge & Cement


Everywhere I looked today I saw patterns, cropped abstract patterns in the sidewalks, and roads full of snow, slush and sludge. This arrow painted in the street points the way in . . .

I clearly wasn't the first walker today.

A cast-iron cover on the sidewalk. "Bell System" around the phone company's centered logo.

Sneakers and snowy sidewalks. Of course!

Tire treads and sanding-soil melting on black asphalt.

This cropping of the street arrow has medieval overtones. To me . . .

All sorts of interesting footprints.  Unlike some dinosaur footprints, these won't be found five-million years from now.

The waffled indentations caught my eye, as did the incredible richness of the various whites, browns, and late-afternoon winter cyans.

 
A different cropping turns the painted street arrow into a proudly patinated pennant.

I'm always drawn to stripes of all sorts and repetitive patterns found in "nature.'

These impressions reminded me of those fancy frozen fried potato "grids" we used to make with our "Vegematic."

I shot more than 200 photos this weekend. More abstracts to come in the near future!

7 comments:

  1. as good as any of my attempts at alliteration in this post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how something so untouched and pristine at the onset turns into...well...something NOT pristine!! :) LOVE the Bell cover and also the "vegematic" comment...wonder how many of us around here are wondering "what the heck is a vegematic" (due to being "youngsters" ...sadly, I know what it is!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I still have a Vegomatic, Mare! I'll have to photograph it one of these days. I think we got it in '66 or '67. Sometime around there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your study of made-made interaction with snow. It shows where the industrial age brought us.

    Yesterday, I was checking out all the tiny animal foot prints which kind of surprised me with all the interaction taking place behind my back, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MARE, YOU SLAY ME WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON.I TOO LIKED THE TWO YOU PICKED OUT. VEGEMATIC PICTURE IS COOL.I REALLY LOVED THEM ALL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete