Saturday, June 9, 2012

In the City Where the Colours Run Dry*

One poet may feel that the city saps the "colour" from them, but these photos show a city scene that rivals a new box of Crayons. 

* The title of this post is a line from a poem by Nicole Buckland, Romance in the Moonlight. Not my favorite poem, but the first line was perfect for this post, lol.

N E W   Y O R K  C I T Y  — Thanks to Ian, Ish of The Cahokian Blog, we have these awesome photos of his "stoop garden." Ian has planted these containers in front of his Brooklyn brownstone.  I see all sorts of begonias, impatiens, coleus and vincas, delightfully mixed and matched. The flowers really complement the colors of the brownstone, marble and granite. If I lived in the area, I would make sure to walk by Ian's building everyday. I'm sure there are lots of appreciative Brooklynites in his neighborhood!

Ian has a great eye for color and texture, as these impatiens, begonias and coleuses show. 

Artfully arranged magazine or did someone drop some mail on the way in, lol. I love the combination of hot pink and bright orange shown here.

B T W :
One of perhaps a million songs about New York I love... This might be playing in the back of my head as I perused Ian's colorful display, Lou Reed's Halloween Parade, a song about Greenwich Village's famous, and oh-so-colourful, annual event. 


4 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful, Ish! Thanks for sharing, and thank you Casey for sharing! It inspires me to go plant something! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Casey thanks for sharing my photos! I love having a stoop, and I love planting the flowers every year. Almost everything I plant are annuals so I do it a little different each year. But it's so nice to come home to the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the best part of annuals. There are new ones every year, and you can also plant your favorite oldies. I'd love to run more colorful city photos if you'd like to, again, share!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THE FLOWERS ON THE STOOP. IT MAKES A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE AND BEAUTY I'M SURE TO HIS HOME. WINDOW BOXES FILLED WITH FLOWERS, WOW, LOVELY.

    THANKS FOR SHARING. ANOTHER SMILE ON MY FACE. TIME FOR BED.WILL BE WAITING FOR MORE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete