Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Little Tease, Works-in-Progress

Turned on its side outside, drying in the sun this afternoon, is a four-drawer chest I'm working on for a friend. I completely stripped it and primed it inside and out with a nice bright white to give myself a clean slate. I'm going with all the flaws in this old wooden piece, highlighting each and every repair someone made to it through the years. The main color is a grayish green, inside and out for a beachy look. This side is rather Harlequin-like, with the diamond-shape segments of the checkerboard a new motif for me. I was analyzing an antique afghan my grandmother made and then decided to use those diamond "pieces" in my next piece of art. More to come as I finish it!

My newest painting is on industrial-grade grooved plywood. I found a bunch of pieces of it at a construction site, cut in various sizes and thrown out next to a dumpster. I walked home with all I could carry under my arms! This is a first layer of painting. I'll sand this down and then do as many as 12-15 more layers of paint and glazes. The right edge will get some gold-leaf paint, evocative of a frame as none of my pieces are ever framed.

2 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful, Casey! Just wonderful! What a treat it would be to have a piece of furniture painted by you!! Anything painted by you! (I'm not rich enough! LOL) Go Casey! xox
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M FIRST IN LINE FOR YOUR ART. I STILL LOVE MY FLOWERS YOU SENT ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY. I HAVE THE PICTURE IN MY LIVING ROOM.I LOVE ALL YOUR ART BUT I THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW IT.

    HUGS, GRANNY

    ReplyDelete