Monday, August 18, 2014

Shocker in the Garden!

Why is this beautiful Heavenly Blue morning glory a "shocker?" I grow them every year, right? Well, this plant was eaten by rabbits more than a month ago, lol! They ate the vines at the bottom of the plant, separating what had been climbing on my garden fence from the roots. Every single vine was chomped off. The plant itself was in a container, which I moved into a more protected part of the garden, the "garden within the garden" that June put in two years ago. But the vines on the fence withered and died. Until this morning! This beautiful flower caught my eye and I realized it's blooming and growing without the help of any roots! Not only does it have this flower, but there are more buds to come and the leaves and vine itself are regenerating at the ends. I've never seen anything like it. I think the vines must be getting water from the rain and perhaps that's all it really needs. I really can't believe it!

Fresh and new green leaf coming out of a vine that has been dead for more than a month. Not attached to the ground in any way. 

Look at the growth above the flower! New green vines, more buds forming, and all without the help of the plant itself or any roots. I've Googled this oddity and can't find anything about glory vines growing without roots!

This green, fresh vine is dead at the end of it just a few feet away where the rabbits ate the vine and separated it from the ground. So odd but I'm not complaining!

3 comments:

  1. THAT MORNING GLORY WAS MEANT TO BE. JUST THINK BACK AND THINK OF WHAT YOUR MIND WAS ON. I WOULD'VE THOUGHT OF MY MOM.
    WHEN I LOOK AT THAT PICTURE YOU SENT ME, I ALWAY THINK OF YOU AND ALL YOU'VE GIVEN US THROUGH YOUR BLOG. [ BEAUTY ]

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know exactly what I was thinking, Granny. I was worried. I'm always worried these days about the future. Not really any work for months now, can't pay rent, etc etc etc. I'm going to have some big changes coming and that worries me. But seeing the morning glory that morning gave me some hope! It's still going now that the two of them are properly planted again. I hope it will really fill out in a few weeks!

      Delete
  2. GO LOOK AT THIS BLOG CALLED BEYOND THE GLASS DOOR. BRIAN IS FROM THE OLD ROSS BLOG. I STAYED FRIENDS WITH HIM ALL THESE YEARS.WHEN I HAVE A PITY PARTY I THINK OF HIM. EVERYDAY GETS HARDER AND HARDER FOR ME, [HEALTHWISE] BUT THEN I THINK OF BRIAN AND THANK GOD FOR THE KIND OF PAIN I GO THROUGH BECAUSE HE IS IN REAL PAIN. HE WENT BY THE NAME OF DR SWILL ON ROSS'S BLOG. WHEN NOONE HARDLY COMMENTED TO HIM , I ALWAY DID. HE LEAD A VERY INTERESTING LIFE.HE'S NOT A DOCTOR BUT OWNED SOME LITTLE CAESARS PIZZA RESTURANTS. HE'S BEEN FIGHTING CANCER FOR 7 YEARS. IT'S BACK AGAIN AND I CRY FOR HIM. WORK WILL COME TO YOU. DON'T GIVE UP.THERE'RE TIMES WHEN I WANT TO GIVE UP. I HAVE A DOUBLEWIDE STILL UP 4 SALE, DRAINING US, BUT EVERYONE WANTS EVERYTHING FOR NOTHING. I KNOW THAT GOD WILL SEND US THE RIGHT PERSON TO BUY THE PLACE. IT'LL BE A FAIR DEAL BUT I WON'T LET ANYONE TAKE ADVANAGE OF US. SOMETHING FOR NOTHING. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete