Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gotta Move Those Old-Stock Tea Roses

Digital manipulation of the old-stock Tea Rose on the property. It's on the edge of the mown part of the lawn, the driveway and the woods. Every year I've been here I've told myself to dig it out of it's terribly crowded low-light home, and transplant it to a move favorable spot. Every year, something else needs my attention more until I forget. This is the year I'm finally going to move it. As soon as it stops flowering! I think I'll move it behind the granite bench in the backyard. It will get more sun and air. Each flower is no more than an inch wide, but they cluster in groups. I really prefer old-fashioned, old-stock flowers and plants whenever, and wherever, I can find them. I think they're healthier, stronger of "constitution," and fend off preying insects better.

 
Typical clusters of this old-fashioned rose.

The orange day lilies and lavender hostas look really nice together this weekend. I'm still hoping the hybrid day lilies and my Tiger lilies bloom. They're becoming the nightly salad bar for the local deer.

The wider view of the "tree garden." I spent two afternoons this week weeding and thinning out the perennials that have already bloomed. It's a bit more textural now. This photo looks nice enlarged, lol!

This Hydrangea has been in its location for two years now. It has 9-10 flowers forming on it. I think I only had three last year. They start out a pale green, almost exactly like an Annabel variety. Then they brighten to a nice, clean white. Then they begin to turn blue, lavender and pink, and will end this fall a deep burgundy with greenish accents. The three blooms above show three stages of coloration.

8 comments:

  1. The garden is really beautiful this year. It is amazing how quickly natures transforms from one season to the next.

    Hydrangea always a favorite - it reminds me so much of my childhood home.

    "A garden is a friend you can visit any time." ~ Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS AGAIN CASEY, YOU ALWAYS OUTDO YOURSELF. WHEN I WAS FIRST MARRIED, I HAD FLOWERS ALONG THE SIDE OF OUR DRIVEWAY. I ALWAY GOT SO UPSET WHEN MY BROTHERS KIDS WOULD COME. THEY'D GET OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK ALL OVER THEM. NEVER TO BE YELLED AT. YOUR YARD LOOKS SO PRETTY THIS YEAR. I'VE ENJOYED EACH OF THOSE FLOWERS ABOVE IN MY GARDENS OVER THE YEARS. SO PRETTY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, Casey! Are the old stock roses scented? Our neighbor had a bush like that when I was little and the roses always just smelled delicious!

    We are going to buy 2 oak leaf hydrangeas this week to plant in a bare spot between 2 hedges (really to block out the view of the neighbors' junky yard). The blooms on those are cone-shaped. Familiar with them?

    Happy 4th of July!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so lush this year! My uncle grew those little roses for many years and we had a whole corner of the garden filled with those day lilies -- they really bring back memories. Do you have any lilies of the valley? They were my mom's favorites.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie: Yes, I've seen those cone-shaped hydrangeas. Mary has some. One of mine hasn't flowered in this yard yet. It's a fall flowering hydrangea and it might be one of the cone-shaped ones.

    Paul: Yes, I have lilies of the valley. They're hard to photograph, being so low to the ground. I have white ones and pink ones. The aroma is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this and thought of all of you:

    Ghost car (clear plexi car) going up for auction July 30. Expected to bring $450,000.

    One of only two "Ghost Cars" ever built will be up for grabs at the RM Auction in Michigan on July 30 and the plexiglas 139 Pontiac Deluxe Six could fetch up to $475,000.

    Despite it's long life, the transparent vehicle has only been driven 98 miles since being introduced at the 1939-40 New York World Fair, Metro reported.

    General Motors and chemical company Rohm & Haas teamed up to build the automobile that showed off its mechanical innards. In its day, it cost a hefty $25,000 to build.

    The clear-bodied car was a hit at the New York expo and went on to exhibits in the Smithsonian, before falling into the hands of several Pennsylvania Pontiac dealers, CNET reported.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is the link for Katie's comment:

    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/868409-last-remaining-ghost-car-expected-to-fetch-up-to-300-000-at-auction

    Very ghostly picture for sure.

    Thanks for that, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Katie and Annie! I've actually known about that clear Pontiac since the early '80s when it appeared in a classic car magazine I read. It's pretty great to think that it has been maintained in its current condition for decades. I would absolutely love to have a collection of one-offs like this car.

    ReplyDelete