Sunday, April 21, 2013

More Color Each Day!

Cherry blossoms in town, at dusk. I love them at this stage, with some flowers fully opened and others in various stages, from tight buds to almost-open. All photos clickable thumbnails to enlarge.

Another "low view" of Pink Gardens. These bi-color daffodils complement the colors of the house perfectly.

Our large forsythia was damaged in the last blizzard. It was completely flattened by the massive heavy snowfall. It has a few flowers on it, but I think I'm going to cut it all the way down to the ground and let it grow back up again. Forsythias need to be cut back every decade or so or they stop producing enough flowers to fill in all the branches.

I grew a marigold indoors this winter! I planted some seeds in one of my potted plants in December and just this week I had my first bloom. I was so surprised it actually blossomed indoors!

 
This rusty-colored plant is actually my purple tradescanthia. It's an outdoors annual, but for the past four years, every October I cut several stems off of it and them root them in water for the next spring. Once they're outside and in the sunlight again, these reddish-green leaves will turn to purple and throw off small pink flowers.

A second African Violet has bloomed, my deep purple one. This plant is ten years old and the plant stretches almost fourteen inches wide!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Casey! Happy spring to you! We are still only "thinking" about spring here although the grass is trying to turn green...more snow possible on Tuesday...oh goodness!
    I have one last bloom on my Christmas cactus! Can NOT believe it!! I have been watering it more as you said you do with yours (although STILL not as much as you do, but more than I had) PLUS I also am using flower freshener one gets with cut flwoers to feed it every few weeks..seems to work!
    Thanks for the tour and I am SO impressed with the African Violet and Marigold! WOW!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mare! We still have temps down in the low 30s at night and high 40s/low 50s during the day. We had one day almost 70 and then it dropped again. A tease! But May is on its way. Thanks for stopping by again!

      Delete
  2. THE FLOWERS JUST BRIGHTEN MY DAY.I TALKED TO MY BEST FRIEND THIS MORNING AND I FELT SO DOWN FOR HER. HOSPIC CAME FOR HER HUSBAND MONDAY AFTER BEING SO WEAK HE COULDN'T EVEN SIT UP.[CANCER] I FEEL SO BAD THAT I CAN'T GET TO HER OR EVEN ABLE TO GIVE HER A HAND. SHE UNDERSTANDS. WE'VE BEEN FRIENDS SINCE KIDS AND FOUND EACH OTHER AGAIN HERE IN FLORIDA. WE'RE LIKE SISTERS. SO IT HURTS TO KNOW SHE'LL BE LOSING HER BEST FRIEND AND HUBBY. THEY'RE SO CLOSE. SHE'S LUCKY TO HAVE THREE WONDERFUL GROWN SONS THAT ARE THERE FOR HER EVEN THOSE THEY DON'T LIVE HERE. THEY COME WHENEVER SHE NEEDS THEM. IT'S A WONDERFUL THING.ONE IS A DOCTOR SO THAT'S A GOOD THING. HE KINDA TAKES OVER WHEN HE FLIES IN.SO I'LL TAKE ALL THE FLOWERS YOU HAVE TO MAKE ME SMILE. HUGS GRANNY

    THANKS FOR SHARING. I NEED A GOOD CRY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ONE MORE THING. YOUR HOME IS LOVELY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your friend, Granny. And thanks, the house looks really nice with its recent paint job! I'll try to keep the flowers coming.

      Delete