Saturday, October 4, 2014

Just Visiting

This little creature was hanging onto a goldenrod stem the other day. I pinch the plants back all summer and then they branch out and have more flowers now in the fall. They're pretty insect resistant so I was surprised to find this colorful but unidentified caterpillar on 'em. I left it. Nature's cycle of life is endlessly fascinating. 

This little feathery creature turns out to be a large Tolype, veddaria species (look here for more information). They're large white moths that are very active at night but completely lethargic during the day. They find a sunny spot and just hang out. I walked around with this creature on this oak branch and acorn all around the yard showing the other neighbors and it barely moved. It slightly moved a leg a few times so I knew it was alive, lol. That night, sure enough, it was flittering outside my window which has a bright light in it and I haven't seen it since.

No comments:

Post a Comment