Monday, April 16, 2012

Checkerberry Memories

This piece was done in 2007, but I just took this photo yesterday. I didn't really have a decent photo of it. Checkerberry Memories, refers to an old Guilford, Connecticut tradition of "Checkerberry Sodas" which were sold at Douden's Pharmacy on the Green. Apparently it was mostly a wintergreen solution with some red food coloring, but was a town favorite for generations. Though the pharmacy is long-gone, I believe the syrup is still available in its original "prescription bottle"-like container, complete with medicinal-looking label.

This piece is 23 x 19 inches on two pine boards. The colors and patterns remind me of my New England home town, a mesmerizing mix of bright and muted, straight-and-narrow with touches of buttoned-down wild abandon, lol.

1 comment:

  1. I LIKE IT LOTS. I KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES JUST TO PAINT EACH SQUARE. I DID SOMETHING YEARS AGO THAT TOOK ME FOREVER TO PAINT. IT WAS A QUILT PAINTING ON AN ANIMAL FORM. MY DAUGHTER STILL HAS IT OR LETS SAY SHE BETTER STILL HAVE IT.
    WHEN WE WOULD GET AN UPSET TUMMY WHEN WE WERE KIDS, MOM WOULD MIX WINTERGREEN AND BAKING SODA AND MAKE US DRINK IT. IT ALWAYS WORK. YOUR POST MADE ME THINK OF IT.

    THANKS FOR SHARING.
    GRANNY. TIME FOR BED.

    ReplyDelete