Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Purples, Pinks, Yellows, Reds, and Greens

Artandcolour Flowers in the Yard and in my Town

Irises blooming between a gas station and some stores, in the center of town. The golden "evergreen" shrub in the background is really attractive in small doses, as an accent, but is used too much here, in my opinion. . .

Aliums, blooming across the street from the beach. The owners of the summer cottage don't appear to have arrived for the season. Too bad they won't see their pretty purple perennials.

Hibiscus awaiting new owners is starting to flower outside of the local grocery store. They have a pretty nice selection of plants and I've had good luck with their flowers when I've bought them there.
 
My deep purple irises are just beginning to blossom this week. There are far fewer flowerstalks than last year, though. Perhaps the mild winter wasn't to their taste. Still, I'll take what I can get!

I have several varieties of ferns in Pink Gardens' yard. Whenever I find a new type in the woods around here, I transplant it into a garden and I've never lost one. I like this thick-lobed version. I also have frilly ones, tall ones, short ones, shiny ones and matte ones. I love their foliage.

A gorgeous early-blooming type of hydrangea is awash in white in town. The whole tree presents as a very full dogwood-type tree, about 15 feet high, as opposed to the more common shrub-type hydrangeas.

This flowering ornamental tree is across the street from my town's Historical Society building. I'm not positive what it is, perhaps a late cherry tree?

Tradescanthia blooming near the beach. The common name is Spiderwort. I have one in my yard, but it's just beginning to bud and flower.

Bright magenta beach roses are just beginning to flower. Many of these shrubs were devastated in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Irene last fall. They grow right on the sand dunes next to the water and thus many were ripped up by the waves or "poisoned" by the salt water flooding. The roots seem to have survived though and most are coming up fresh now.

Tiny wild strawberries are flowering by the side of the road.

Yellow honeysuckle vines. These are cultivated, not the more common wild variety and are stunning whether they're fully opened or just in their star-like closed buds.

My white-and-yellow bearded iris are just starting to flower. These are planted next to the vegetable garden, hence the chicken wire behind it. I really love these flowers!

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! The true signs of spring! It *is* still just May! Each delicate flower and bush is just beautiful, Casey! Thanks for today's cheer! :) I hope seeing these and photographing them brings you cheer, as well!

    xox
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI PAL,
    THERE'S NO WAY I CAN SAY I LOVE ONE OVER THE OTHER. THEIR SO BEAUTIFUL. YOUR VILLAGE IS THE TYPE OF PLACE I WOULDN'T MINE LIVING. SO MANY PRETTY PLACES. LOVE THE OLD HOUSE ABOVE. I'D JUST LOVE TO GO OUT AND WALK AROUND WITH MARE AND EXPLORE. WE COULD GET INTO ALOT OF TROUBLE CHECKING THINGS OUT. MAYBE EVEN LOOKING THROUGH SOME ANTIQUE SHOPS. LOOK YOU, I'D HAVE TO BRING MY CAMERA ALONG.

    THANKS FOR SHARING. YOUR KIND AND YOU MAKE MY DAY WHOLE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you those magnificent irises -- the beardies are iffy here in Sydney; they really don't care for our warm winters and muggy summers.

    That pink flowering tree is a crab-apple. Looks to me like the double-flowered form of Malus ioensis, the Betchel crab - but don't quote me on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Roger. I bet you're right about the crab apple tree. I always forget about those!

    ReplyDelete