Friday, July 27, 2012

Look Who's Back!

The swallowtail butterflies are back at Pink Gardens this summer. This is a gorgeous example of a Tiger Swallowtail, and there is a more elusive, darker variety, too. I haven't quite been able to photograph him yet! This one is attracted to June's lavender Butterfly bush. Go figure, lol! The red hummingbird feeder can be seen in the background, and almost every 20 minutes or so a hummer comes to feed. 

SummerColours Continue

Another sort of tiger in the yard... My tiger lilies are really quite something this year. Even though I lost more than half of them to "critters," the ones that did flower are more than 6 feet tall and have several blossoms. I'll have a post just on these flowers soon. I photograph them almost every day.

A sea of black-eyed Susans, rudbeckia, in front of a local bank in town. I can't grow these in my yard. As soon as they send up shoots and a few leaves, the rabbits and deer chow 'em down. Nothing works as a deterrent. These were one of my mother's favorites and I really wish I had them in the yard!

My hydrangea continues its journey to burgundy. This variety started out pale green, then turned bright white, then a beautiful blush of blue, and now is fading to green and pink, and by fall (or August at this rate) will be mostly burgundy with a touch of pale green. I've really had a hard time not picking them, but I love to watch them change colors as they mature.
 
A better view of the lavender butterfly bush. I love the way it complements the salmon and cream of the house. The fact they really do attract butterflies is icing on the cake!
 
Two points for anyone that knows this flower! It's a lettuce bloom! Some of the garden lettuce has "bolted" and these lovely blue flowers are the result. They remind me of "Ragged Sailors" which are a native wildflower, and that makes sense since they are really chicory, a relative of lettuce.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Casey,

    These pictures are wonderful -- so evocative of summer! And that butterfly is amazing -- Pink Gardens makes an excellent backdrop for the splendor of your garden!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul! Thanks! I'm sorry for the paucity of photos so far this summer. The days just seem to get away from me. I've shot at least 500 pics and just never seem to get around to sizing them and cleaning them up for the blog. One of these days! Thanks so much for checking back!

      Delete
  2. wish butterflies were the size and strength of a Pterandon, so I can fly away for my B-day tomorrow on the cheap, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THE BUTTERFLY.I HAVE A BUTTERFLY STORY BUT DON'T WANT TO RAIN ON YOUR PARADE TODAY. THE BLOG PICTURES ARE JUST TO NICE TO RUIN IT WITH MY STORY. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ANYTHING THAT WILL BRING BUTTERFLIES INTO YOUR YARD. I'D LOVE TO SEE ONE OF THOSE BIG, BIG, BIG ONES BEFORE I DIE. I'VE ONLY SEEN THE SMALLER ONES. THE COMPUTER HAS OPEN UP THE WHOLE WORLD TO ME. I HAVEN'T BEEN FEELING ALL THAT GREAT LATELY SO I JUST DO MY E MAIL AND YOUR BLOG AND MARES THEN I'M READY FOR MY NAPS DURING THE DAYS. I'VE REALLY SLOWED WAY DOWN THESE PAST FEW MONTHS. SO KEEP THE FLOWERS ETC COMING. IT LIFTS MY SPIRITS.

    THANKS FOR SHARING,

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all slow down in the summer, Granny. I'm sure you'll perk up in the fall. I hope you feel better soon regardless!

      Delete
  4. Happy early birthday Woody! Hope you have a grand day!

    Beautiful, as always, Casey. You never need apologize for anything, much less a lack of photos on your blog! You post plenty! And give all of us such great enjoyment! Thanks for what you DO post!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUST STOP IN TONIGHT TO SAY GOOD NIGHT AND HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL DAY.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Buddleia in my back garden is covered with butterflies today & I have a scarlet colored hanging begonia, just to keep the Hummers coming back. They are always a thrill.

    ReplyDelete