Saturday, February 5, 2011

You Want Stuff? I've Got Stuff.

This is a bookcase I designed and had built from poplar by a friend's father eight years ago. I've painted it and applied fabrics and images with polyurethane. I change the display contents once a year or so. Featured in these images are much of my grandmother's circa 1930s salt-n-pepper shakers, as well as vintage toys, Friedel figurines (like Hummels), and the inevitable-for-me scale model cars. Some of the salt-n-pepper shakers are identical to each other, two lobster claws, two oranges or two bananas with faces, but others are a mixed pair, such as a bowling ball and pin, a rat and a piece of cheese, or a begging cat and dog. I have about 150 pairs in all. The vast majority are porcelain/ceramic, but some are an early plastic known as Bakelite. All photos are clickable to enlarge.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like those Hummel kids are very intrigued with Mssrs. Peanut. And the bananas seem quite surprised to find themselves well...where they are.
    The Trolls are having a good-hair-day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY HEART JUST RACES SO FAST WHEN I SEE YOUR STUFF. AT LEAST STUFF KEEPS IT PUMPING.LOL I HAD SO MUCH OF THAT STUFF OVER THE YEARS. WHY OH WHY DID I GET RID OF ALL THE LOVELLNESS.OH I REMEMBER, I HATE DUST.

    JUST ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is thar Granny above me?

    Anyway, these little nicknacks are pretty neat. They seem to say a lot about one's personality. I sure like the "banana head twins" (pics 5 and 6 down), very cute.

    ReplyDelete