Friday, September 7, 2012

Apples, Peaches, Plums & Cherries

Oh yes I did! I've been practicing my pie making lately. This is a mixed fruit pie I made a couple of days ago. I peeled and cored/pitted apples, peaches, plums and cherries, all fresh from a farmer's stand in town. I sauteed the fruit with a bit of fresh mint from my garden and rosemary and black pepper. I added a bit of orange juice and confectioner's sugar to make a syrup for them. When they were cooked down, I strained them and added them to a pie crust I had baked first for ten minutes. And no, for this pie I did not make my own crust. I bought the kind you roll out, already made. I've made my own in the past, and I still miss my mother's homemade crust, but honestly, it adds so much time and stress to my life, I wouldn't bother to make pies at all. Maybe this winter, if I'm stuck in the house for a few days, I'll attempt a crust again, but in the meantime, I'm happy to hone my filling techniques and flavor profiles! The pre-made crusts that roll out are quite fine. I put a bit of flour on the counter, roll out the dough a little bit more to make them "look" a bit more homemade, lol. This pie was just delicious!

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie, lol
One of my favorite songs from my childhood! I can't tell you how many times I played this 45 single over and over and over again in my bedroom, dancing around the room like I was on American Bandstand as only the little Casey could do.

5 comments:

  1. IS THERE NOT ANYTHING YOU CAN'T DO? YOUR MY KIND OF DUDE. LOL

    THANKS FOR SHARING PAL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah! thanks, Granny. There is PLENTY I can't do, but I don't write about my failures, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can rotate my own tires, but I'd much rather have it done for me. rofl

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can single handedly save a whole parking lot of Ridgelines from the Guabi with those pies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH! brings me right back to 2005 or 2006! gosh, how time flies!

      Delete