Saturday, February 4, 2012

Photopourri—Art, Playbill, Dust, and More, lol

Waiting for Time
My latest pieces hanging out waiting for me to find time to finish them. One of my recently refurbished "Not Wrapped Too Tightly" footstools keeps them company.

No Dull Days
Novelty postcard from his area of town, Leete's Island (Leete Island on the card), dated October 1917, was sent to my grandfather by his cousin. My grandfather was at an Army training camp getting ready to leave for France to fight in the first World War. Ink initials on the girls' skirts and a scribbled name on the man's socks, probably were an inside joke between the cousins.
Barn Finds?
1949 Mercury and 1940 Ford coupe sitting around reminiscing about the good old days! Cobwebs enjoy their current days in the sun.

On Broadway in 1977
Almost 35 years ago, I saw The King and I on Broadway with my parents. My mother always loved Yul Brynner, and this musical, and it was a dream come true for her to see him perform in it live on the Great White Way.

Same Day Service, ca 1920!
An envelope containing some of my grandmother's negatives show just how "modern" the early 20th century was. Before the current digital age, "same day" service was still being touted at Photomats, CVSs and other photographic developing centers. For a sampling of her photographic portraits that were developed from negatives most likely processed by this pharmacy, click here.

4 comments:

  1. It just never ceases to amaze me the difference in living in an "old" area. Photos were very few and far between in the midwest..and moving pictures? forget about it! To even THINK of seeing a Broadway play would have been, well, unthinkable! LOL Always love your posts about "stuff" :) I realize how much we didn't have access to (the difference in the areas we grew up in) and yet in so many ways our human experience is the same..
    Ain't life grand! for real!
    We are under snow here today ... several inches..wet and heavy...this time of year it doesn't last too long though..
    Have a great day...
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing the commercial for The King and I on TV like it was yesterday. He was also great in the Ten Commandments as the punishing Egyptian Pharaoh.

    I didn't realize your grandfather also served in the war too . Did anyone fight in the Civil War?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mare, you know I always appreciate you checking out my blog. My parents saw a few other Broadway plays, in their later years before my dad got sick, and I've seen quite a few, although I prefer dramas to musicals, but this is the only one we saw together. My mother was the type to research anything before she saw it, so she knew when it was written, who the first castmembers were etc, more than even what the Playbill said. My dad, liked to treat people well, especially his family, so we had great seats and we ate at a great restaurant first-a place off the beaten path I don't remember the name, but he knew the city like that back of his hand, so it wasn't a tourist trap. I wish I had done more things like that with them, but at that age, college, and then in my early 20s, you never want to spend time with your parents when you could be with your friends, or meet new friends that night, lol. I'm sure they understood, but it seems a bit silly to me now.

    Woody: I don't really know about the Civil War, but I know someone on my mother's side was in the Revolutionary War. I think any family members might have been the wrong age during the 1860s to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOTHING LEFT FOR ME TO SAY EXCEPT DITTO TO WHAT MARE SAID. I LOVE THE PICTURE OF THE FORD. MOM AND DAD HAD ONE OF THOSE OLD FORDS WHEN I WAS LITTLE. I USED TO WAIT AT THE COURNER FOR HIM WHEN HE WOULD COME HOME FROM WORK THEN RIDE ON THE RUNNING BOARD HOME. THAT WAS CALLED HAVING FUN.

    THANKS FOR SHARING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete