Saturday, August 18, 2012

From Sweden With Love

Well, she "went and done it." My personal friend, friend of this blog, and photographer extraordinaire, Lisa Mikulski has moved to Sweden! She wakes up in Göteburg these days, and this Swedish sunrise greets her each and every morning from her new bedroom. I miss her, but am so happy that she has followed her heart and has begun a great new chapter in her life. Her fiancé, Tapi, has welcomed her with open arms, his huge Swedish heart, and two adorable kittens. She has been gracious enough to send me some photographs of her new life to share with you, dear readers. Thank you, Lisa!

In her own words and photographs, Part 1:

The exterior of the newest hotel in Göteborg, the Clarion Post Hotel. One of Tapi's and my favorite "get away" spots. The interior of this place is just magnificent. Comfortable and yet breathing taking in its design, the Clarion makes its home in the old post office on Drottningtorget. Designed by Ernst Torulf, the building is a Neo-Classical building which has been designated as a historical building by the Swedish State. The architects for the Clarion, Semrén & Månsson state on the hotel's website, “This is without doubt one of the most interesting projects in Gothenburg to work on. It features all the challenges that an architect can be required to face,” says Magnus Månsson, Professor of Architecture and CEO of Semrén & Månsson. Big leather armchairs and cosy couches, one can park themselves in a darken corner and enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail for a romantic interlude. The hotel also hosts creative gatherings, business meetings and boasts a roof top pool. I have so many photos of the interior of this place but I leave it to those who are interested to visit the hotel's website for more. I highly recommend a visit to the Clarion for anyone coming to Göteborg.  Website in English: http://www.clarionpost.com/english
 
Kungstorget translated means King Square. A window shot of one of the restaurants there, it's reflection of the square, and the menu selection. The prices you see on the menu are in Swedish Kronor. I rather like this one. :-) 

Hang me Out To Dry: A street image from around Kungstorget.  

Göteburg. Swedish architectural details.

Ohhh… you have to love the Swedes. This is a window display at a local bakery on Korsgatan embracing the August excuse to party known as kräftskiva. A crayfish party. Traditionally held during the month of August, it is a summertime eating and drinking celebration where party goers wear silly hats, decorate with paper party favors, sing drinking songs and consume high amounts of alcohol. Kräftskiva is only held during August because crayfish are only allowed to be harvested during that month. (I want a crawfish-shaped bread! -casey)
 
Cute! The traditional Swedish Dala Horse. 

Stay tuned for upcoming Parts 2 and 3 ! For Lisa's earlier posts here at casey/artandcolour showcasing her amazing photography  click here.

5 comments:

  1. How neat and how exciting. I love Sweden and and the people there. Would love to be able to call Sweden home. I look forward to additional post from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY COUNTRY. NOW I CAN SAY I'VE BEEN THERE THANKS TO LISA AND YOU CASEY. I'LL LEAVE THE DRINKING TO SWEDEN, JUST BRING ON THE GOODIES. YUM.. LOL. ENJOY YOUR LIFE THERE LISA. I KNOW CASEY WILL MISS YOU.

    THANKS FOR SHARING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart move. If I were her, I would checkout the Volvo factory and some nice leather chairs, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look this up, my gosh it was 15 years ago when I was in Goteburg for the Davis Cup finals, USA vs Sweden. Whoosh where does the time go. It's nice to see it Sweden in summer, I was there in November/December lots of snow and all bundled up, but you know I loved it. It was really beautiful but I always wanted to go back and see it in summer.

    Love the "hanging out to dry" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Sweden. Thanks everyone for your comments. I really enjoyed hearing from you. And Casey, it's always my pleasure (and honor) to contribute to your blog.

    The big news this week is that after 2 months of Swedish living, I have found the PERFECT writers cafe. Coffee (or Kaffe) served in a coffee press. Lots of yummy foods behind the counter. It's dark, quiet and has comfy leather chairs. There are newspapers abandoned here and there, a perfect view of the street, AND other writers ... makes me a happy gal. :-)

    Casey, I'll have to send over a photo of my kittens Tiger "Mud" and Gentlemen Jack. Because after all who doesn't love a kitten photo. (And they are so damn cute).

    Hej dä for now.

    ReplyDelete