Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lavender Blue, Dilly, Dilly

A beautiful little vignette this morning in fellow Pink Gardens' resident, and friend, June's, apartment. Such a perfectly shaped rose, and the lavender contrasts beautifully with the bright orange zinnia from the cutting garden. The hand-hammered pewter tray adds colonial Connecticut warmth to this photo.

The snowflake-like flower of my Dill plant. Seeds will form in these little yellow flowerets and I'll save them for next year's herb garden.

The late, great, Burl Ives, singing Lavender Blue, Dilly, Dilly. A classic!

Bonus Photo:
This morning's haul! I went out to weave my morning glory vines, they're growing about six inches every day now, and I found all this ripe fruit in my vegetable garden. There were a few golden yellow Sun King cherry tomatoes, three small Cherokee purples (more of a reddish brown with olive green tops), a dozen bright red San Marzanos and a nice, plump green Bell pepper. I always pick some basil tops when I'm out there. Basil is such a natural accompaniment to tomatoes.

3 comments:

  1. I KEEP SAYING I'M GOING TO HAVE GRAMPS BUY ME SOME BASIL. I LOVE THE TASTE IN SAUCE. MOM USED TO GROW DILL BECAUSE SHE ALWAY CANNED PICKLES. I NEVER DID.YES, THAT'S A PERFECT ROSE.. IT WAS THE COLLOR OF ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS WEDDINGS. BLENDED WITH SOME OTHER COLORS. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE COLORS. AROUND 8TH ON MY LIST. LOVED BURL IVES ALSO. HE WASN'T MY FAVORITE BUT WAS UP THERE ON THE LIST GIVE ME SOME JAZZ AND I'M IN MY GLORY.VEGGIES LOOK YUMMY

    THANKS FOR SHARING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burl Ives's voice is very therapeutic to listen to at night. Did he lend his voice in any of the Disney animations?

    ReplyDelete