Sunday, October 30, 2011

Much Ado About Not Much!

Garden Globe is a bit iced over this morning. Click images to enlarge.

Who knew dahlias could withstand a light snow and two nights of below-freezing temperatures?

A bit of ice still clings to the top of this dahlia bloom.

Take me in! Vintage pink flamingo is unfamiliar with its current milieu.

Nasturtiums also seem immune to the current weather. I transplanted the geraniums from these planters the other day, bringing them in for the winter, hence the snowy bare spot. I've had nasturtium leaves in my salads the past few days—they're slightly peppery tasting, like arugula.

Even my little squash is still green. I'm hoping for another two weeks of "normal" weather, and this squash just might make it to full size.

The hummingbird gate's wooden grain really stands out when it's wet. The zinnias in the background almost look like eyes for the hummer! 

My little-used Infiniti is the recipient of falling leaves and falling snow. That's better than falling trees which dented the roof rail a few years ago on the passenger side, lol.

8 comments:

  1. The hummingbird pic is superb!
    Looks like the snow is going to melt fast - won't you miss it, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I can give up "my car" background I will replace it with the blue snow globe. I LOVE that pic.

    Very pretty! Hot chocolate anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE TO AGREE WITH PX, THE HUMMINGBIRD PICTURE NEAT.
    A REAL WINNER.OF COURSE THE FLOWERS ALWAYS TURN ME ON TO LARGE SMILES. IT'S THE ONE THING I MISS ALL WINTER BUT HERE IN FLORIDA YOU CAN ALWAY HAVE SOME KIND OF BLOOMING FLOWER EXCEPT WHEN A FREEZE COMES IN FOR A VISIT.PUT THE BLANKETS ON THEN TAKE THEM OFF. THE FLOWERS PROBABLY WONDER WHY THEIR GETTING COVERED UP. THEN IF IT'S COLD ENOUGH THEY DIE OFF ANYWAYS. BUT WE TRY.TOMORROW GRAMPS WILL BE GOING DOWN TO RUSKIN TO PICK TOMATOES TOMORROW. THE FIRST WEEK IS THE BEST TIME TO GO TO THE YOU PICK FARM. THE TOMATOES ARE LARGER AND NICER IF YOU CATCH THE ADDS SOON ENOUGH. MY MOUTH IS WATERING FOR A TOMATO SANDWICH. YUM.I MAY EVEN MAKE SOME GOOD HOMEMADE BREAD TO GO WITH THE TOMATOE. THE TOMATOES ARE GOOD BUT NOTHING LIKE THE TASTE OF N.Y. TOMATOES. IT HAS TO BE THE SOIL.
    THANKS FOR SHARING THE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES.LOVE THEM ALL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Snow Globe" is perfect, I wish I had thought of it, lol!!!

    Enjoy your tomatoes, Granny! I still have three green ones inside waiting to ripen, but they're never as good as the ones that ripen outside.

    happy sunday, all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see that you still have electricity -- the reports on 1010 WINS said 700,000 customers in Connecticut had no power -- you did your time at the hurricane and don't need to do that again!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that's a nice looking Infiniti. I bet you photoshopped the leaves, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should Photoshop the front tires being round, they keep going flat since I don't drive it anymore!

    ReplyDelete