Monday, November 22, 2010

Reading the Fine Gilded Print

My small vintage candlestand table, painted with oddly-shaped flowers in an underwater scene—lilies or starfish? I painted this decorative table, 15 inches wide by 24 inches tall, in November of 2004 after President Bush won his reelection. "Hidden" in the gold leaf filigree around the edges is "Bush Sucks." I just couldn't believe Americans had voted him into office again, and had to paint my feelings of frustration. How prescient of me to paint an underwater scene, as the country would BE under water financially by the end of his sorry second term. I think this will make an interesting pop culture collectible 100 years from now. There are six coats of non-yellowing polyurethane on top of the painting to make sure it's still visible in 100 years.

Parked on the tabletop are three of Mercedes Benz smallest production models, the Smart car, red, a European A Class in blue, and the chartreuse C Class Sporthatch featured in a series of photos I posted recently in this blog. I've painted the mirror behind them, and was recently given the small bamboo plant, which lives in that tiny container of water and small river stones.

4 comments:

  1. Love the mirror. Love the table. Love the sentiment most of all!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Katie! I don't usually concentrate on, or immortalize, the negative, but it was a snapshot in time which will probably withstand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie took the words right out of my mouth! He continues to be like a bad dream that just won't go away.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't have summed up Bush's (first) or second terms any better. Such a fitting tribute. You should will this table to his Presidential Library. Hopefully, he'll be dead first, lol!

    ReplyDelete