Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mustang 3 for 2015: Not Popular on the WWW!

When I first posted this 2015 Mustang 3 last year, you could hear the loud thud of the web-world's collective jaws dropping. And not in a good way! Motivation would come from a direct-injected, super- AND turbocharged three cylinder, light-alloy, maybe even plastic powerplant of the future. Click for it's future goodness. No real 'base' photo for this rendering, although I used pieces of the European Focus and the current Mustang. The rest was just brushed in.

C H O P — The VERY first Mustang, from 1962 was a diminutive mid-engined 4 cylinder sports car. It wasn't until the second generation of Mustang introduced for 1964 1/2 that the front-engined, rwd 4 seat 'Pony Car' was introduced. Now, technically the Mustang I was never produced beyond a prototype or two, but still... it exists and I remember it in the newspapers at the time even though I was barely 5 years old!

So letting my mind wander last year, I decided, and rightly so I truly believe, that eventually, maybe five, maybe 10 years, the V8 rear-wheel drive platform will be dead. Buried along with carburetors, tube radios, tube tires, mohair upholstery, drum brakes and hand-cranked starters. It's just inevitable that electric powered cars will be the mainstream family cars, and small, ultra-lightweight gas or diesel engines will become the sports models. Even then, I don't doubt for a second that a cooking 3 cylinder, with a super-and a turbo-charger will be available as the hot setup. I'm predicting a 1.5 liter direct-injected three cylinder will be able to provide up to 200-250 hp, and will be powering carbon-fiber (or an inexpensive and even stronger substitute yet-to-be-developed polymer) cars weighing no more than 1800-2000 lbs MAX, perhaps even as low as 1250-1500lbs. That would include all relevant safety equipment, and maybe 15 airbags, lol.

In this future mindset, I created what I call the Mustang 3. I'm considering the '62 mid-engined prototype as Mustang I, which indeed it is known as. I'm considering every 4 seat, rwd pony car that followed as the Mustang '2,' not just the Pinto-platformed '74-78 models. My new mid-engined 3 cylinder, as the rightful heir to the sporting Ford family, is the '3,' with that numeral signifying the third 'life' of the Mustang and the high-tech three cylinder powerplant. The small size of the mid-engine I3 engine, would allow 2 small rear buckets seats, in the classic pony car tradition. Performance would be on par with today's V8 GT models, 0-60 in approximately 5.0 seconds or better, and the gas mileage could average 60 mpg with all the electronic assistants that will be available by then. 

Of course, all I heard was "THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN" or "V8s FOREVER" or "BLASPHEMY, YOU SUCK" lol. That's exactly how I knew I had it right for the future. My only mistake was calling it a 2015. Maybe 2020 or 2025 would be more realistic considering we can't even plug a hole at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, but it will happen, it absolutely will happen!

Original Mustang I prototype from 1962. My Mustang 3 picks up where this hotness left off!

7 comments:

  1. The vehicle you created is contemporary, but it isn't a Mustang.If the only remaining option in the future was to reposition the Mustang as a front wheel drive subcompact offering, say along the lines of a VW Scirocco, for example, I believe the Mustang's legacy would by best served to simply retire it's nameplate and rename the proposed vehicle something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From PhantomX:
    The vehicle you created is contemporary, but it isn't a Mustang.If the only remaining option in the future was to reposition the Mustang as a front wheel drive subcompact offering, say along the lines of a VW Scirocco, for example, I believe the Mustang's legacy would by best served to simply retire it's nameplate and rename the proposed vehicle something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's what I heard when I first put this Mustang out there. It's certainly the prevailing opinion!

    I neglected to put in my post that this Mustang would have electronically controlled AWD, not front wheel drive. Insasmuch as it would be the fastest, most powerful, and best handling Ford available in their showrooms by then, I really do feel it deserves the Mustang nameplate. Remember the '64-'66 Mustangs were Falcons under the skin, and even shared the instruments for the first year or two. You could even get a Mustang with a bench seat in those years. I'm not really of the school that a particular architecture needs to be sacred, only the positioning and performance should be the same.

    I wouldn't want the Thunderbird to be introduced as anything but the top-of-the-line luxury Ford, where it spent most of its life. But by 2020 that means it's a 3 cylinder eco-friendly luxury 4 seater with knockout styling, so be it. I feel the same about the Mustang-top performance, top styling, but how you get there is up for debate. In artandcolour world anyway! : )

    Hopefully I'll get this comment glitch taken care of later today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I OWNED A 1982 STEEL GRAY MUSTANG. THE TOP FRONT PANELS CAME OFF SO IT WAS LIKE HAVING A CONVERTIBLE. THEN ONE AFTERNOON MY YOUNGEST CAME IN FROM SCHOOL AND ANNOUNCED TO ME THAT GRAMPS SOLD HER MY CAR. OUR KIDS HAD TO BUY THERE OWN CARS.I WASN'T VERY HAPPY BUT THAT'S HOW THINGS ARE DONE IN OUR HOUSEHOLD. OLD SCHOOL. THEY DON'T DARE SELL MY MAZDA OUT FROM UNDER ME. IN FACT, I MAY JUST BE BURIED IN IT. LOL, WHY NOT?

    GRANNY

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. HMM, not sure how I feel about the "new" Mustang..I had a 1972 blue mustang that hubby and I bought brand new...first and only car we did that with..What I have TRULY wanted though was a 1965 red mustang with black leather interior..I still hold out hope for that! There's always hope, right??
    I can see both sides...rename it OR keep the name and move on to the new edition...not sure.
    TG I can NOT believe gramps sold your car!! Even to your own child! Well, yes, I guess I can believe it..but a MUSTANG! wow..hope he replaced it with something great for you!
    Have a good one and try to stay cool Casey! :)
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRAMPS HAD A LIGHT BLUE 1968 [HE BELIEVES] HE HAD AN ACCIDENT LEAVING SCHOOL AFTER A LONG DAY OF WORK AND CLASSES,PLUS A LONG DRIVE HOME. BINGO BANG AND THE CAR WAS GONE. WE LOVED THAT CAR. WE HAVE A FRIEND UP NORTH THAT REBUILT MUSTANGS AT THIS HOME AS A BUSINESS. [EVEN RED ONES.]SOME REAL BEAUTIES. GRAMPS SOLD A COUPLE OF THEM IN OUR FRONT YARD WHEN WE HAD OUR HOME UP NORTH. ONE DAY A LAWYER STOPPED AND LOOKED AT ONE OF THEM [BLACK CONVERTIABLE] WROTE OUT A CHECK,CAME BACK WITH A BIG RED BOW. HE WAS GOING TO DRIVE TO HIS 16 YEAR HIGH SCHOOL SONS' SCHOOL, PUT THE BOW ON IT AND WAIT FOR THE KID TO COME OUT AFTER SCHOOL AND SURPRISE HIM.I WASN'T HAPPY ABOUT THAT CAR GOING TO SOME TEENAGER BUT THE DAD WAS GLOWING. WHAT A WAY TO SPOIL A KID. I WONDER TILL THIS DAY HOW THAT KID TURNED OUT. THE CAR SOLD FOR$7,000.00. THAT WAS BACK A GOOD 12 YEARS AGO. WHAT I WOULDN'T DO FOR THAT CAR. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. CASEY, SENDING YOU A BUCKET OF ICE. KEEP COOL.

    THAT STEEL GRAY MUSTANG TOP I BELIEVE WAS CALLED A T TOP.

    THE MUSTANG WE SOLD FOR OUR FRIEND TO THE LAWYER WAS A 1965 I BELIEVE. GRAMPS IS OUTSIDE HANGING GUTTERS SO I CAN'T ASK HIM. I DO KNOW IT'S THE ONE EVERYONE WANTS INCLUDING ME. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete