Saturday, July 17, 2010

My What a Big Flag You Have!

No, the yellow tape wasn't protecting a crime scene, lol. A new stone sidewalk is being put in. Click to see the hugeness of the flag!

One of the largest private flags I've seen! This 19th century home is on one end of our town green. I rode over there yesterday to check out the organic food bazaar thingy they have every Friday during the summer. You can get all sorts of veggies, fish, shellfish, flowers, soaps etc and there is usually a small musical group. It all ends at 6pm though, so I almost always forget to go, lol. Everything is pretty expensive—I saw tomatoes for $6.50/lb and the fish was all more than $10.00/lb. I bought a couple of small yellow squash, one of my favorite summer veggies. I'll have more tomatoes than I can handle in a month or so, so I can wait for those. They weren't native anyway.

4 comments:

  1. We have a house here in town that is quite large (for this area) that is on the national register and every 4th of July they put out a flag like this...Just told my husband I forgot to take a pic of it this year! Wish I could show you, but the pics from another year are in my desktop that I haven't hooked up...just working from my laptap...Thanks for posting this ...fun to see.
    Couldn't believe the prices on the veggies, fish, etc. Is everything in your area high priced?
    Hope you are staying cool(er)...
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. G' Morning Mare! no, thankfully, the 'regular' grocery store has normal prices for everything. the friday afternoon thing is all organic and supposedly local and all that, though I think local means New England, not just Connecticut. You can still pay $4/lb for tomatoes sometimes though. Asparagus the other day was $3.99 bunch which I thought was really high. I buy eggs from a CT grower and they're only $2.79/dozen. Such a deal—cheaper than 'name' brand eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE AVERAGE PERSON CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO EAT THE FOODS THEY NEED TODAY. THAT PRICE IS CALLED GREED IN MY BOOK. NY MOM ALWAYS PUT A GARDEN IN THE BACK YARD EVERY YEAR.THEN SHE'D CANNED EVERY MORSEL. I'D HELP HER DO THE TOMATOE.AS A KID, I THOUGHT IT WAS FUN. I LOVED THE HOMEMADE CHILI SAUCE.IT FILLED THE HOUSE WITH A WONDERFUL SMELL. MY HOUSE SMELL LIKE DUST. LOL, BELLY LAUGH.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. my house smells like dust too! : )

    i'll be using everything i get from the garden, you can bet on that! it's been so much work, and takes so long to water every day that i'm not going to waste a thing. I LOVE making tomato sauce. so I'll be doing a lot of that and freezing it I guess.

    ReplyDelete