Sunday, July 4, 2010

Maserati and Lincoln—Twins Under the Skin?

Maserati Cinqueporte—I created this very sporting hatch three years ago. Panamera who?

Lincoln Leland Town Sedan—American luxury created from a Maserati Quattroporte base photo.

C H O P S — My fake cars sometimes incorporate small stylistic changes and sometimes I completely change the base car into a different marque. The top image shows a maroon Maserati that I "just" changed into a five door hatchback. Subtle changes on the car include revised front fender vents and of course the doors and roofline. The white Lincoln below it is an example of a complete change. The base photo was a Maserati Quattroporte. I revised every body panel including the overhangs and wheelbase proportions, and created a sporting and luxurious Lincoln sedan. Rather than use the Town Car appellation with all of it's black car/limousine connotations, I called it the Leland Town Sedan, named for the man that created both Cadillac and Lincoln motor companies in the early 20th century. Leland was an absolute stickler for quality at any price, and I think this Lincoln personifies that quality. I feel that even though I gave both cars my favored "suicide" doors, they are quite distinctive and wouldn't be confused with one another. You can read about Henry Leland at Wikipedia, here.

BTW:


Reverse engineering or restoration of original concept? 1961 Lincoln Continental coupe is quite the elegant beast. All photos clickable to 1,000 pixels in width.

C H O P — It's a pretty well-known fact among the cognoscenti, that the gorgeous 1961 Lincoln Continental 4 door sedan began the design process as a Thunderbird coupe. There were competing designs for the Lincoln sedan to follow the '58-'60 unit-bodied behemoth, and none of them caught Ford's brass eyes. The Thunderbird coupe that was being developed at the same time was deemed elegant enough to pull it off, and a longer 4 door version was commissioned, and the rest is history. It's interesting to note that during the '61-'66 period, Thunderbirds used the same cowl assembly and windshields as the Lincoln Continentals, and were in fact, built in the same factory and subject to the same build quality. This chop above, shows what the stretched Lincoln sedan could have looked like as a 2 door. The Lincoln Continental line was given its own coupe in 1966, but I think the original '61 would have looked quite elegant and handsome in it's own right. For the eagle-eyed among us, I also included a Lincoln station wagon in the poster in the background. Two chops for the price of one, lol.

5 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS WANTED 1955 T BIRD CONVERTIBLE. NEVER DID GET ONE. TO YOUNG AND BIG DREAMS. GRAMPS AND I DID HAVE A 1957 RED AND WHITE FORD CONVERTIBLE WHICH GRAMPS PUT THREE CARBERATOR [IF I SPELLED THAT RIGHT] ON IT. WE OUT RAN A COP TRAVELING AT NIGHT ON A TRIP HOME FROM WV. TO MICHIGAN TO VISIT FAMILY THERE.WE WERE YOUNG AND GRAMPS LOVE TO PUT THE FOOT TO THE PEDDLE BACK THEN WITH ME SCREAMING AT HIM SLOW DOWN. GRAMPS DIDN'T EVEN KNOW A COP WAS CHASING US.WHEN WE FINALLY STOPPED THE COP TOLD GRAMPS HE HAD CHASED US FIVE MILES. HE COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST THAT FORD COULD GO. WOULD YOU BELIEVE ME, HE LET US GO WITH A WARNING AFTER TALKING CAR TALK WITH HIM. NOT TODAY. YOU'D GET THE BOOK THROWN AT YOU. WHICH THEY SHOULD DO,

    THOSE CARS ABOVE---I'LL TAKE BOTH.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have good taste in cars! my parents owned a '56 Ford Sunliner convertible when I was born in '57, and then we had a '58 Thunderbird for years and years. I have a photo of me at about the age of 5 behind the wheel of that '58 Tbird somewhere... The triple-carburetor setup you described was VERY rare, and would be worth a fortune today. Your red and white convertible probably had the 312 cubic inch 'special thunderbird' V8 engine, the same as in our '56. I would love to see large American convertibles make a comeback today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Maserati! The Panamera is God awful, designed by my daughter's 1st grade art class. Your Maserati one ups the Rapide as it looks luxurious AND fast instead of just fast...and that Black Cherry Chrome paint... oh yeah.

    Now, on to the important stuff...
    This Lincoln Leland came in at #3 on my... America's Top 10 with Casey Chop-um's... all time list. And I agree that this chop has the best rearend of the three you penned. I would buy this car tomorrow Casey... in pearl white as shown.

    Have a safe 4th everybody and keep the Chops a rollin' Casey!

    RW - Scottsdale, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks RW! quiet here today. i did some transplanting and mulching this morning, but it's in the 90s-VERY hot for the shoreline. I'm just hanging inside with a few fans going. i like my holidays very mellow! have fun and be safe yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Town Sedan is an awesome creation. I'd like to see a version of it with a 56/57 Mark II looking trunk lid and maybe separate the top of the car from the body as in the old days.

    ReplyDelete