Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Photographer Photographed

The woman behind the lens of many of the vintage photographs I use in my work, my grandmother, 1922.

C O L L E C T I O N — Meet my grandmother, the woman behind the lens of many of my pieces of art. This photograph of her was taken at the Indian Point House Hotel in Stony Creek, in the early 1920s, the setting of several of the portraits she shot. I find it interesting that I have this image of HER, taken with someone else's camera, but I have yet to discover the similar photograph that my grandmother was shooting at the time. I have no idea who took this photo, but I continue to search for clues. I also have only found this print, whereas I have my grandmother's negatives. As much as I enjoy working on art, I also am endlessly fascinated with the stories behind these images. As they were taken so many years ago, and none of the subjects (or my grandmother) are alive, I'm not sure I'll ever really know the full truth. I plan on writing about all that I've uncovered at some point though.

No comments:

Post a Comment