Friday, January 14, 2011

1980 Seville Coupe. Work "Notes" Doodle, lol

A doodle from January 1980, thirty years ago this month, an early "chop" of a two-door Seville. Seeing as it's on a tabbed divider from a small notebook, I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be taking "notes." At this time I was "working" for a temp agency, going out to 1-2 day jobs filling in for receptionists and the like. I frequently dragged my butt to the agency's office to get the listings for the day straight from the latest all-night club, and had to sit in "meetings" where we were told how to dress and how to act in an office setting. I knew from school it was important to look like I was interested by taking "notes," lol. I'm pretty sure this is one of those notes!

4 comments:

  1. So if it's 1980, the fastback Seville was fairly new. I think folks were watching you even then because these were actually built (by some company that also made two-door versions of the original Seville). I recall seeing one (the new one) from my office window parked on the south side of 57th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. It was beige and brown and had the rear wheels covered by fender skirts. I think they were exhibited at the NY auto show when it was still held at teh Coliseum -- there was a mezzanine floor where they had things like the Excaliber and some of those other oddities of the automotive world. Yours looks better because of the open rear wheels but it was quite striking nonetheless. I'm sure there must be photos online of some of these two-door Sevilles. I think there were even convertible versions of the first generation Seville.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I did photo chop today of a 2 door Seville from this series, I'd make it much more flamboyant, more like a Figoni et Falaschi design from prewar France.

    1980—I remember going to the GM building on Fifth Ave during my lunch hours to see these Sevilles, and all of the other GM cars that year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember well the when GM had that showroom. Now it is the home of FAO Schwarz and the set of the execrable The Early Show on CBS.

    I used to love going in there and sitting in all the cars and picking up literature. And there was all kinds of neat GM stuff on the mezzanine level too, like Frigidaire appliances and so forth.

    I remember getting my first look at the downsized Eldorado, Riviera and Toronado there. I remember being shocked by the prices -- I think the Eldorado was $13,000!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny to think that maybe we were walking around there at the same time! who could have possibly seen the future with the world wide web and the level of communications we have today. I've been in that FAO Schwarz and bought a couple of my Bburago scale models there. I didn't know the CBS show had a set there. Isn't the new Apple store in the courtyard?

    ReplyDelete