Friday, October 1, 2010

Around the World in 80 Days. And 50 Years.

Vintage reel-to-reel tape of the Hollywood movie, Around the World in 80 Days. Apparently this is an audiotape, not the movie itself. The movie based on Jules Verne's victorian novel, starred David Niven, Shirley MacLaine, and many others. For a 4 minute clip at Youtube from the 1956 movie, click here. The box and tape are undated, but in doing a bit of research, I'd say this item dates to 1958 or so. This is a 2-track tape, and apparently Bel Canto moved to 4-tracks in 1959. The box art is fun, as is the typography. The director, Mike Todd, was one of Elizabeth Taylor's great loves, and tragically died in a plane crash shortly after this movie came out, in 1958. Here's a 10-minute video of Taylor and Todd.


For a brief synopsis of Bel Canto reel-to-reel tapes, click here.
For an even briefer text on the Hollywood movie, click here.

5 comments:

  1. Mike Todd and Elizabeth Taylor, I always thought that marriage would have lasted if he hadn't died. Mike Todd appeared to be the strong man that Liz needed. I remember the movie so well. It was a BIG deal we drove in to LA to see it on a big screen. I think it was a Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where the top movies played first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think movies used to be a bigger deal. They're still a big deal, but usually only in respect to their first weekend's "take" at the box office,i t's all about the money. I think they glamour is gone from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, less is more. When I was a kid we had a movie theater in town, but the big first run movies always played in Los Angeles first for several weeks before making it out to the smaller towns. South Pacific was another one I remember driving in to LA to see. It was such a big deal.

    Now there is nothing special about going to the movies, except the price. lol

    The other day I was taking my granddaughter, she will be 16 on Halloween, to an appointment and home again. She mentioned she was going to a concert tonight. I said oh my gosh, how many have you been to in your life? She had the data on her phone and quickly replied this will be #32! I told her I had never been to a concert... well they weren't called concerts and I have never been to a performance that had thousands and thousands of people there. Hollywood Bowl once and several times to the Greek Theater, but nobody called those concerts. She said she saw the Spice girls when she was four, so if that was her first that's 32 concerts in 12 years.......seems excessive to me. But don't tell anyone I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUST THE PRICE OF A TICKET TO ANY SHOW IS EXCESSIVE. THEREFOR THIS GRANNIE ALWAYS STAYED HOME. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.

    MOVIES WERE 10 CENTS WHEN I WAS A KID.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow granny, it WAS cheap to see a movie "back then!!" It was a WHOLE QUARTER when I was little!! :) lol

    ReplyDelete