Friday, October 15, 2010

Studies in Red and Yellow. (and pink and green)

We're finally seeing some color on the trees. This is in the center of town, across from the grocery store I use. It was a very dull, cloudy day today when I shot this, and it's pouring outside right now. The colors look so much brighter when the sky is bright blue. The hues and textures of the different tree species really caught my eye even without the benefit of great lighting.

Refusing to give up despite the cooler temperatures and shorter daylight period, the red and yellow Dahlia continues to open up new blossoms.

The newest dahlia, in pink and yellow, continues its maturation process. This is the prettiest it has yet been.

Two red vases illumined in the early afternoon light today. The "flower power" paperweight below them is a white river rock I painted when I was 10 years old. The bright yellow Mustang I Matchbox is to the right. I've managed to find a properly painted white version, with blue stripes as per the original, so I'm leaving this little car yellow with black stripes.

8 comments:

  1. Zow!! Those trees are amazing. We have some sickly yellow on my block...no flaming color yet at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well casey you beat me to the punch with the fall colors. I better take my camera with me today or all I will end up with will be a bunch of brown leaves. Painted rocks from eons ago, oh yes, we have some of those still kicking around some place. I had a ball doing that with my kids. Everyone have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Everyone!

    Great picture set! Love how you tied all the "colours" together. Your Dahlias are amazing - talk about an end of the season show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coloured glass.

    http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/articles/glasscolouring.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that link! My glass collection is one of my favorite things, Depression glass, Carnival glass, all the different colors and ages of my vases and dishware. I think I have an example of every color listed on the site. I'm printing it out to keep on file!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE FALL TREE PICTURE IS ONE OF THE BEST I'VE SEEN. THE COLORS ARE CHILL TAKING. I COULD NEVER GET ENOUGH OF THE FALL BEAUTY WHEN I LIVED IN THE NORTH. MY FAVORITE SEASON THEN COME SPRING, MY FAVORITE SEASON. SKIP SUMMER THEN WINTER SO PRETTY WHEN IT SNOWS. GOOD NIGHT AGAIN.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. ONE MORE THING BEFORE BED. THE SMALL RED VASE IN THE PICTURE, I BOUGHT ONE JUST LIKE IT WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL FOR MY MOTHER AS A GIFT. MAYBE PAID 50 CENTS OR SO FOR IT. I HOPE I STILL HAVE IT. MY DAUGHTER PACKED MY THINGS WHEN WE MOVE HERE BACK IN APRIL. I HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT IT OR SEEN IT SINCE. SHE GOT RID OF SO MANY OF MY THINGS. I WON'T BE HAPPY IF SHE GAVE THAT VASE AWAY TOO. NOW I WON'T SLEEP UNTIL I GO AND LOOK FOR IT.I CAN'T CALL HER AS IT'S PARENTS WEEKEND AT THE COLLEGE WHERE MY GRANDAUGHTER ATTENDS. REST ASSURED I WILL BE QUIZZING HER IF I CAN'T FIND IT. I'VE ALWAY LOVED THAT VASE.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. the small red one is the oldest in that photo. it might be 60-70 years old if not older. Hope you find yours, Granny!

    ReplyDelete