Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Bit of "Colour" Around the Old Place Yet

Mid-October around Pink Gardens, and there are still some flowers blooming if you look for 'em. 

At the top is a very small purple aster-type flower. I'm not exactly sure of its name. It was given to me last year by a woman at the grocery store I helped in the parking lot when her bags broke. After we got all of the stuff put in her trunk, she asked me if I didn't mind, if I could help her one more time with a large plant that over at the curb. While I got it and brought it to her car, she ran and bought me this little purple-flowering plant, and it turned out to be a perennial. Next to it is the dark purple Perilla, a native perennial coleus relative. They look nice together.

In the middle is the newest dahlia to bloom, the fourth variety. This one seems to be a peach color gradually changing into a bright yellow in the center. We've all seen how my dahlias change over time, so I'm excited to see this new one mature, I have buds coming on two more dahlias that haven't bloomed yet, so let's all hope we don't get that first frost for a while!

At the bottom is a white Joe Pye Weed bush. Most of these that I've seen have been purple and were blooming profusely in bright sun in August. This variety was given to us this year by one of June's friends. She gave us three nicely mature bushes and told us it was shade-loving. I did as she said, and have been rewarded by these small bright white flowers, absolutely perfect for the shade garden. Checking this white variety online, it seems to be called Chocolate, 'though I have no idea why!

8 comments:

  1. AN ACT OF KINDNESS WORKS EVERY TIME. LOOK WHAT YOU GOT OUT OF IT. WEEKS OF ENJOYMENT. WE BENEFITED ALSO. THANK YOU LADY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it smell like chocolate? Or the leaves maybe when crusted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

    CASEY, ARE YOU WRITING A BOOK TODAY?

    IT'S REALLY TP PRETTY OUTSIDE. I WISH I COULD GO FOR A WALK. MAYBE I'LL TAKE MY SCOOTER FOR A RIDE. I REALLY NEED A SMALL RAMP TO GET IT OUTSIDE. WE CAN TAKE IT APART BUT THAT'S A PAIN. WE CAN LIFT IT BUT IT'S HEAVY.

    DID YOU EVER PICK THOSE LAST TOMATOES? I WISH I HAD A BEEFSTEAK TOMATOE RIGHT NOW. MY FAVORITE.

    BACK TO THE TV. I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE MINERS MOST OF THE DAY. PRAYERS SEEM TO BE WORKING. IT'S BEEN SO MOVING. THEY SEEM TO BE VERY LOVING PEOPLE. I WISH I COULD BE THERE JUST TO GIVE THEM ALL A HUG AND SAY JOB SO FAR WELL DONE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was doing the production for a book today. now i have to get my change together and go buy some food, lol.

    later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TIME FOR MORE TV AND A GOODNIGHT PAL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is "Pink Gardens" like "Grey Gardens?" Are you Little Edie or Big Edie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Pink Gardens IS Grey Gardens with better paint and fewer indoor raccoons. I am SO Little Edie frankly I'm unnerved at times. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey everybody. Sitting here right now with a 100.4 temp - yuck. And I was even at the doctor's today for my annual, but of course no temp. then just felt bad. I'm going to go back to the couch and TV. So glad all the miners made it out, incredible, now just a few more rescue workers to go.

    Granny, sorry about being so pushy in my response, it wasn't personal I just get a little over-board with passion sometimes. You are right no answers today, but maybe we can take a baby step.

    Everyone have a great time. Send soup!

    ReplyDelete