Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ford's Fine Feathered Friends—1969 Style

Ford's Luxury Bird—These scans are from "Ford Times" October 1968 issue, a small monthly periodical published by FoMoCo until 1993. The magazine measured 5 x 7 inches and consisted of 64 glossy pages and a heavier stock front and rear cover with a stapled binding. In addition to the requisite promotional pages for FoMoCo, editorial content included illustrated articles on the Talimena Scenic Drive in Oklahoma and Arkansas, bird watching, wood carving, a story on the Great Salt Lake in Utah and recipes from famous restaurants. 

Above, the 2 page Thunderbird piece. The first page shows the new for '69 blind rear C pillar, strongly evocative of the '66 Tbird Town Coupe and Landau, and which would be repeated in the '71 model year. The reason for Ford to use this coupe roof style only in '66, '69 and '71 is something I'd love to know! Please notice the "plain" coupe on the top of the second page, has a strange C pillar and quarter window. I'm not sure if it was an overzealous airbrushing graphic artist, or if Ford had contemplated a change to the '67-'69 roofline, released these early photos and then rescinded the facelift, but I suspect it's the first. I'd like a Landau 4 door in maroon with black interior and vinyl roof.

Ford's Economy Bird—Also in the October 1968 issue, is this '69 Falcon, in Futura coupe and 4 door versions. This would prove to be the Falcon's last year as a compact, with the new Maverick in the wings, due to be introduced on April 17th, 1969. In 1970, the Falcon was, for a brief time, the lowest rung of the Torino lineup, appearing as a pillared coupe only. I always liked this second generation Falcon, in showrooms for model years '66 through this '69. They were based on a shortened Fairlane platform, and even shared the wagon bodystyle and wheelbase with its larger brother. I'll take a black Futura coupe with a black vinyl roof, 302 V8, power steering and brakes and SelectShift automatic transmission! 

At the bottom right is Ford's new-for '69 Country Squire, with its innovative 3-way "Magic" doorgate and newly hidden headlights, which had been used in '68 as well. Thanks to loyal reader, Paul, for the correction! I love the '68 full sized Fords, and can't believe I forgot the XLs, LTDs and Country Squires came with hidden headlights! But that's why I love my readers, too. : ) 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Casey, the older I get the more appreciation I have for classic beauties.

    Just yesterday, some rich teenager was driving around in 1957 burgundy original, at least it looked that way to me. The glimmering shine just looked like it rolled off the assembly line.

    It only seems now that after 50 some years, am I liking the brand again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found this time of the year the best to see beautiful old cars actually driving around. You'd think spring or summer would be the best, but it seems that the coming winter makes people really enjoy these beautiful fall days and they take their classic cars out before the first snow flies. I've seen some absolutely incredible cars recently, including a mint '55 Chrysler C300, the first 300 Letter series, but it passed me on the other side of the road and i had no camera anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love Ford Times. The barber shop we went to always had them on the coffee table in the waiting area and then, after getting my Dad's 63 Falcon 2-door stripper and my brother's 64 convertible (260, 4 spd), we got it delivered every month!

    Didn't the 68 top of the line big Fords, including the Country Squire, have hidden headlights?

    Just saw your post about seeing the C300 -- I wish I'd seen that! I love those 55 Chryslers in general and C300 even more!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, of course you're right, Paul, thanks! Duly noted in the post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family received the Ford Times for at least 20 years. I wish I still had ALL of the issues. This car crazy kid voraciously read anything automotive that crossed my path - especially during the 68-73 time frame. The new car issues were always my favorites, but the other 11 months of the year still had their great Thunderbird and Mustang ads to keep me going. Still my favorites today.
    Maroon with a black interior & black top. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's cool that the Ford Times is remembered by us!

    back in the day, there were a lot of Tbirds in my town, and having our own, meant we usually said hello or waved at others, lol. I remember one of my aunt's friends had a maroon '68 Landau coupe in Vintage Burgundy with a black roof and interior, and it was gorgeous. Hoohoo's husband, Uncle Bill, drove a '66 Country Squire in Vintage Burgundy with a beige interior, which coordinated well with the wood on the sides. That maroon./burgundy color was just a beautiful shade of dark red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THERE'S A BEAUTIFUL COLOR OUT IN CARS TODAY THAT I LOVE. IT'S A DEEP DARK PURPLE. IF I WAS GOING TO ORDER A NEW CAR THAT'S THE COLOR I'D ORDER. GRAMPS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A FORD MAN WITH SLIP AWAYS ONCE IN A WHILE TO ANOTHER BRAND. I USUALLY GOT TO CHOOSE THE COLOR MOST OF THE TIME. GIVE ME SOME PURPLE.

    YAY,WOODY AND PAUL ARE HERE. A DAY WITHOUT YOU GUYS IS LIKE GOING WITHOUT APPLE PIE ON A DIET.

    JUST ME GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom has a 1968 Ford XL sitting in her carport. It has been sitting there since 1970. It's starting to rust pretty badly. She is always going to "sell it for a fortune". LOL She's 79.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie: I love the '68 Ford XLs! It's probably the 2 door fastback, which had a one year only roofstyle and a large almost-V shaped rear window. I know what it feels like to not want to sell a car. I've kept a few cars way past when I should have sold them. I thought I'd have the '64 Thunderbird my entire life, and kept it at least 10 years without driving it before I finally sold it for next to nothing to someone that was going to restore it. They lived in Maine which was really the reason I sold it to them. I couldn't bear to see it driven around town if it wasn't mine.

    ReplyDelete