Monday, October 25, 2010

I Give This Set a Two in Danceability

This is an RCA Victor "smart set" from the early 1950s from what I can tell. The original three records are missing, but oddly enough, it's filled with 10 brand new RCA Victor 45s of light-opera and popular music, in cellophane and sleeves. I'm sure if I look around enough, I'll find the correct records, but for years I've just really enjoyed the box cover art and crude-but-effective typography. 

I've found a re-recorded CD online with these songs, and also earlier versions on 78 records, and the same set of 45s. As usual, this online listing is not mine, I don't sell my stuff, lol.

The playlist:
• The Eyes of Texas • Alma Mater • Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech • Anchors Aweigh • On Wisconsin • Victory March.

Not exactly Boogie Woogie dance music, or "Stairway to Heaven," THE prom song of all time for Boomers, lol.

4 comments:

  1. 1955 Senior Prom - the theme Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White / Perez Prado. Me in my ever so chic pink strapless 3/4 length gown, move over slightly Jacqueline. Loved those days, our dances were always held in the high school gym and we had so much fun decorating it and turning into a magical spot for just one evening. And close dances in the corner if you could get away with it, under the ever watchful eyes of the faculty chaperons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUR DANCES WERE ALSO HELD IN THE GYM. THE LIGHTS TURN DOWN LOW AND EVERYONE IN LOVE.NO DIRTY DANCING JUST CHEEK TO CHEEK WITH A KISS IF YOU COULD GET ONE SLIPPED IN WHEN YOU THOUGHT NO ONE WAS LOOKING. WHAT A JOKE, EVERYONE WAS LOOKING BUT YOU DIDN'T CARE YOU WERE IN LOVE. WHEN THAT LOVE WAS BROKEN YOU CRIED FOR A WEEK. THE LAST SONG THAT WAS PLAYED AT ALL DANCES WAS BLUE MOON. MY FAVORITE SONG MAYBE EVEN TO THIS DAY, AT LEAST IT'S AT THE TOP OF THE LIST.
    I NEVER DID LEARN TO BOOGIE.WISH I KNEW HOW BUT GRAMPS AND I WERE NOT INTO DANCING. WE MISSED OUT ON ALOT OF FUN.
    WITH THIS I WILL SAY GOODNIGHT MY FRIEND. SWEET DREAMS AND THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE TIME YOU GIVE US.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean you didn't rent a Hummer limousine with a 10 foot stretch in the middle for a pool and a bar? : )

    I love that song Blue Moon too! You can hear it at fifties car shows quite often. It just sort of goes with Bel Airs and Fairlanes and Star Chiefs!

    ReplyDelete