Thursday, October 28, 2010

Photo-pourri. So Far, No Frost!

Impromptu Autumn arrangement of Burning Bush (Euonymous alatus) stems, large ferns and some vines from around the place. I wrapped all of these around a short (3 ft) tree trunk near the side driveway. The veggie garden is in the background and with the cosmos, morning glories, zinnias and dahlias still blooming, this group of brightly colored foliage adds just the right seasonal touch.

A dark orange zinnia blooms despite the cool nights and daytime rain drops. 

The newest dahlia to bloom is this solid white variety. While not completely opened up yet, I think this pure white bloom is one of my favorites. For some reason, I missed pinching this plant earlier in the season, which makes them branch out rather than putting all the growth into getting taller, but there are still a few buds on it. Here's hoping they have the time to bloom!

In another part of the yard, along the property line in the backyard, bordering a shallow stream and Madison Land Trust acreage, this small, solitary cosmos surprised me today. I planted several cosmos here in the spring, but the deer kept eating them. I gave up on them in July, moved them from around this tree to the cutting garden inside with the vegetables, but I apparently missed transplanting this one. Lo and behold today, in between rain showers, I walked back here and was duly rewarded! The plant is only 18 inches high and has more horizontal growth than vertical, but the flower is still beautiful.

A second yellow/peach dahlia is blooming. The first one faces due East, looking inside the fenced in vegetable garden (mostly empty now!) and this second one faces due West. They're the same height, but have their backs to each other. I'm amused daily at my dahlias coloring and growth patterns.

The "regular" cosmos, close to 8-feet tall, swing and sway with the slightest breeze. They really resemble lavender/pink butterflies when you sit and watch them. As tall and substantial as the stems are, the frilly leaves and almost-weightless flowers are constantly in motion. It's really something to behold, or I need to get a real life, lol.

4 comments:

  1. I have lots of favorites here, I like the dahlias and solitary cosmos - the way the softness of their petals contrast with their rough and scratchy backgrounds.

    The final "regular" cosmos is a delight to view. You've made our viewing job easier by isolating and stilling the scene.

    You have the "real life" Casey continue to enjoy every moment of it. There are so many who will never take the time to enjoy the real life or others who sadly don't even know it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DEARLY LOVE THE COSMO AND THE TRUNK OF THE TREE PICTURE. SO NEAT.

    EVERYTHING THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY IS NATURE AND ANYTHING OUTSIDE. IN MY WILL I LEAVE ALL MY DIRT AND DUST INSIDE MY HOUSE TO ANYONE THAT HURT ME IN LIFE THEN I ALSO LEAVE SUNSHINE TO SHINE ON THEM TO LIGHTEN THEIR POOR ATTITUDE. FORGIVENESS IS GOLDEN.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO lucky no frost yet!! Was in the 20's here last night! A few mums around and the occasional flower that had gotten covered...the leaves are falling in waftsand the white birch I can see over the neighbor's rooftop looks rather bare today...sad...
    Thanks for the pics..LOVE them all, but the contrast of the cosmos and the tree is a delight.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was 72° today, Thursday! Even last night was in the 60s. The weather's changing tonight though, I can feel the chill already. It's only supposed to be in the '50s tomorrow and 30s at night... No frost in the 8 day forecast though. I hope they're right!

    ReplyDelete