Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Seeing the Light of Day Again

1905 photograph of my grandmother and her oldest step brother and sister. I've placed it in a vintage basket, hanging from a rafter in the attic.

Extremely pedestrian acrylic painting of an Ivy plant wrapped in red foil, on the ground next to our house, painted in 1973 when I was a sophomore in high school. No wonder I didn't remember it at all until I found it last week, packed away in an old art attaché that has moved with me several times but hadn't been opened since the '80s at the latest.

Some scale model car kits I've collected. Some were bought just 5-6 years ago, but many of them date back to the 70s and 80s. There is a Deora kit in the upper right, a custom pickup I believe has been mentioned in the blog in the past. In the foreground is Hoohoo's silver clarinet from the 1930s in its original case. For some reason, there were colonial feather quill pens in the case with it. Whatever the reason they were placed in there, it worked. They're still in perfect condition. Click on the image to see the car kits in greater detail.

4 comments:

  1. Casey, it must have been like a treasure hunt while cleaning the attic!! Finding "new" and forgotten treasures! I felt that way going through old photos recently.
    Your Grandma and family were certainly attractive people..and the model collection is great..did you say you never put them together and just keep the models as they were?? LOVE the mustang (of course!!) and the pink cars especially.
    I rather like the geranium picture. Isn't it interesting to pull out something one has forgotten and KNOW that you had created it but it feels almost foreign (at least that is often how I feel when I come across things I've done years before that I have forgotten.)
    Have a good one
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I built the model cars when I was a kid, but I soon found that they'd get trashed one way or another, or fall apart on their own. I never could get a "good" paint job on them either. By the time i was in my teens, I tended to just enjoy the kits for the kit's sake and not build them. Then I bought a LOT of them in my 30s and 40s and left them unopened. I like the fact the plastic hasn't even been opened on the packaging yet. I like to think of someone in 100 years finding them and maybe building them, or having their robot build it for them like the Jetsons, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CASEY, MY MOM WOULD HAVE LOVED YOU. SHE LOVED OLD THINGS AND ALWAYS SAID TO ME DON'T EVER GET RID OF MY ANTIQUE OR I'LL COME BACK AND HAUNT YOU AND YOUR BROTHERS. [VERY FUNNY MOM]MY FAVORITE ANUT WAS A SCHOOL BUS DRIVER. ONE CHRISTMAS A LITTLE BOY BOUGHT HER A METAL SCHOOL BUD. I KEPT IT AFTER SHE DIED.ALSO UNK WAS A BREAD MAN AND I HAVE A LITTLE BREAD TRUCK OF HIS. LOVE LOOKING AT THEM AND JUST REMEMBERING THE GOOD TIMES.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHEN I LOOKED AT THAT PAINTING ABOVE I THOUGHT OF A PAINTING I DID YEARS AGO OF A VASE WITH FLOWERS IN IT. WHEN I SOLD MY N.Y. HOUSE A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS GOING TO THROW IT AWAY BUT MY GREAT, GREAT NEICE ASK ME IF SHE COULD HAVE IT. I WAS FLOORED AS IT WASN'T ALL THAT GREAT. NOW I WISH I HAD IT BACK. I JUST WONDER IF HER MOM LET HER HANG IT IN HER ROOM. I HOPE SO. I STILL SAY I'D LIKE TO PLAY AT PAINTING AGAIN.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete