Friday, October 1, 2010

Signs of the Times. Sigh.

Today, In between gale force winds and torrential downpours—Tropical Storm Nicole making her way through Connecticut—I rode my bike to town to get some [much needed] exercise. This is a local bank I ride by every day, and it's encircled in yellow police tape. Notice the Connecticut State Police van parked at the door. This Webster Bank has been robbed in the past, and apparently was robbed again today. The highway (I-95) is just down the street, so it's a relatively easy on and off—that's the only reason I can think of for its multiple robberies. There are at least five other banks in town, but they're all in the town center and thus, more difficult to get away from in a hurry. There has been a rash of bank robberies all around the state recently, and I can only think that the terrible economy has quite a bit to do with it, unfortunately.

R I P 
Also note, that sadly, the flag is at half-mast again today. Recently, another one of this state's finest, and the nation's finest, was killed in Fallujah, Iraq. They're calling it a "noncombat incident," but regardless, if this country wasn't in such an ill-advised war in the first place, he'd still be alive and his parents would still have a son. For more on U.S. Army Pfc. Gebrah P. Noonan's death, click here.

Update: More details of his death can be found here. Apparently it was an out-of-control vocal altercation with other soldiers, and there was a second young man murdered as well. Tragic, all the way around.

9 comments:

  1. That was a nice statement issued by Gov. Rell. This war saddens me greatly. We will never know the true numbers of all that have sacrificed their lives, limbs and minds to this unjust war. And yet these honorable young men and women perform their duty day after day after day. Rest in Peace brave young warriors and hopefully one day we all can Live in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gov. Rell has to be one of the most reasonable and compassionate Republicans in office today, if not THE most. She took office after another Republican Governor went to jail, and then she was reelected on her own.She's presided over the state during the time that gay marriage was made legal. I can't think of a single Republican that would have allowed that without grandstanding. I'll actually be sorry to see her leave office. She seems to be a genuinely nice person, a VERY rare occurrence in politics, no matter which side of the aisle they're one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sad situation about the soldiers....
    On another note, I thought the post was going to be about the cool gray car parked that we see in the front of the picture!! Oh Casey, what have you done to us!! I am looking at cars EVERYWHERE I go! I think my family thinks I've "lost it" for real!!! :) I'm always saying look at that car, or "odd car" or "LOVE that car!" lol
    Heading to Volleyball games again sat a.m...check in later...mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mare: welcome to the car club, lol. My friends say the same thing here. They all notice cars more than they did before they knew me. One woman that seems to actually listen to me when I go on about cars, told me she was out with a bunch of the "girls" the other night when she started telling them that "if the door handles on an Accord are chromed and there are dual exhausts, it's a V6 model." She told me they just stared at her in disbelief, and she just said "Casey" because they all know me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's kind of interesting that you mention a causality from the Iraqi war and a bank robbery, if you were to see The Town, which is about a bunch of bank robber, actor Jeremy Renner who just happens to be the co-star was also nominated for best actor in The Hurt Locker. Although one is fictional and the other isn't Renner provides an excellent portrayal of how miserable the outcomes are for a thief and victim of war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Woody, I haven't seen The Town but I did see The Hurt Locker. I felt so bad and felt responsible for turning him into the person he had become. Sometimes I feel the ones who die are the lucky ones, an awful thing to say, but that is just how awful this whole thing is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REFUSE TO WATCH ANY TYPE OF WAR MOVIES. I JUST CAN'T BEAR TO SEE ANY KIND OF KILLING. REAL OR MAKE BELIEVE.DURING PART OF THE VIETNAM WAR WE MOVED TO VALLEY FORGE AREA FROM OKLAHOMA.THE VALLEY FORGE ARMY HOSPITAL WAS RIGHT AT THE CORNER OF OUR STREET. ANYWAYS, EVERYDAY THE HELICOPTERS WOULD FLY OVER THE TOP OF OUR HOUSE BRINGING THE WOUNDED SOILDERS FROM THE SHIPS IN THE PHILLY AREA TO THE HOSPITAL. THEN UNLOAD THEM JUST INSIDE THE GATES, PUT THEM ON HOSPITAL BUSES TAKE THEM OVER TO THE HOSPITAL BUILDINGS. I SAW MORE THAN I CARE TO TALK ABOUT. SO MANY STORIES. I GOT ON THE GROUNDS MANY TIMES BECAUSE I WAS FRIENDS WITH THE NEIGHBOR ACROSS THE STREET. SHE WOULD GET SUCH BAD HEADACHES WORRING ABOUT HER OFFICER HUSBAND THAT WAS FIGHTING IN THE WAR THAT I WOULD HAVE TO TAKE HER OVER TO THAT HOPITAL AND ADMIT HERE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. HER HUBBY DID MAKE IT HOME. HER OLDEST SON WAS ALSO OVER THERE. HE CAME HOME BUT THEN KILLED HIMSELF.WAR RELATED.YES, I'VE SEEN ALOT IN MY DAY. MY PROBLEMS ARE SMALL COMPARED TO OTHERS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I JUST CUT MY NAILS. SO MANY MISTAKES IN THE POST ABOVE. I HAVE TO BLAME IT ON SOMETHING. I CALL ALL THE MISSPELLED WORDS FIND THE MISSING LETTER GAME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fascinating recollection of living in Valley Forge and the wounded. Thanks for telling us another gem. I can just imagine what that woman went through. My mother told me a bit about what it was like with my Dad overseas in Korea, but most of the time she lived with him on base during peacetime.

    ReplyDelete