Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Autumn Views

Awesome neighbor June's front step, displaying a grouping of mini gourds and pumpkins, including a "blue cheese" variety in the back left. This is my favorite type of pumpkin, featuring a pale greenish-blue exterior with deep ribs and a low, squat shape. Rounding out the display are pottery and glass shards we find around Pink Garden's yard whenever we dig in the gardens. The huge slabs of granite used as steps date back to the early 1700s, the oldest section of the house. Click to enlarge all photos.

This is a very subtle photograph, but enlarged, I find it absolutely beautiful. This is a variety of cedar near my friend Nikki's condo. The berries are a very pale blue, almost lavender. They're very similar to Juniper berries, but I don't think Junipers grow this large. The tree is at least 30 feet tall. The bits of bright blue sky at the top really bring out the colors of the berries at the bottom.

The Hummingbird Gate to the vegetable garden, Oct 10, 2010. While the last of our "real" Hummers seem to have flitted away, on their way to Mexico for the winter, our gate still beckons. Beyond it you'll see the newest morning glories to flower and the taller zinnias and cosmos in the "way back." The Audubon bird house is empty right now, too.

9 comments:

  1. Blue cheese pumpkin I have never seen or heard of that. I like it, color and shape, very unusual. The view over the hummingbird gate is so peaceful. Nice. I should check with my neighbors downstairs to see if their hummers have left yet.

    Hope everyone is having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DRIVER LICENCE ADDRESS CHANGE AND THEN HOME

    GRANNY

    LOVE LOVE LOVE THE FLOWERS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone! Hi Annie!

    I have never seen a bleu cheese pumpkin, either! I think I'll try to find seeds and grow some next year on the back slope of my lawn. How cool would that be?!

    Quiet day here but sunny and warm at 70. Usually much colder here this time of year. I'll take 70! :)

    Time for me to put out the Halloween decorations. It's my hub's favorite time to decorate.

    Have a great day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AGAIN LICENSE. OLD AGE STINKS. LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. KATIE, HOW FUN. I'LL HELP YOU PLANT THEM.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone !

    LOVE that blue cheese pumpkin - never seen anything like it in Michigan !
    June obviously has great taste, that's the same door mat I have, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  7. X - is it the one you leave the key under?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only when I know your coming over, Annie !

    ReplyDelete