Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chiaroscuro—Interesting Black-n-Whites

Newly-finished koi pond, early 1950s. Sailboat toy floating center-left. I think there are some tender perennials under a gauzy tarp in the upper right. This is probably an autumn photo.

Great uncle Art and his kitty cat. Runningboards belong to a mid '30s sedan delivery. Make? He liked Buicks, but perhaps this is a Chevy?

"Lady Puke"is written on the back of this seasick family dalmatian mix, 1941.

Fill-R-Up, 1940 Buick at the pumps.

Classic still life photographed by my grandmother, 1941.

Cousin Minnie and her early '32 Plymouth PA coupe. I think this is the "mystery" car in the 4 car lineup image posted earlier in this blog.

7 comments:

  1. YOU TEASE. I'D GIVE ANYTHING FOR THAT COUPE. I ALWAYS WANTED ONE OF THOSE OLD OLD CARS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it when ladies showed just a bit of ankle. There is something about black/white photography that I just love. It just draws you in to the subject with no distraction that color can so often be. Thanks again Casey I so much enjoy these old photos. I am so behind in my own projects here. Perhaps a lesson in staying focused would be helpful

    Hi everyone hope you ALL had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minnehaha was Hiawatha's girlfriend. That's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore these pics. The shading and clarity of subject is so mesmerizing. The pond and still life are my favorites..at least today..tomorrow it could very well be the others. Nite everyone. Mare

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great set of pictures! I don't think Buick ever did a sedan delivery -- something about the shape of the body and the wheels read as a Mopar to me -- Plymouth? Maybe Dodge? I love Minnie and her Plymouth. And the 40 Buick filling up is priceless. I've always loved the B body of 39 and 40. We had a 39 Pontiac when i was born and until i was 4. It was the B body -- DeLuxe Six two door sedan -- not the A body, Quality Six.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sedan delivery is a '34 or '35 Chevy. In '35 the Standard series was the same as the previous year. The Master series got a new body with suicide doors on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Lee! Thanks for taking the time to check out the blog and leave me a note. Another piece of the family puzzle!

      Delete