Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"International Car Review," No 1, Vol 1, 1953.

This is the first issue of International Car Review, published February 1953, by Screen Teen Publishing of Purchase, New York. The cover is a wraparound photo with the Aston Martin DB2 convertible positioned on the front cover and a '51 Ford convertible on the back. This magazine measures 5 1/4 x 7 1/2 inches with 146 interior pages. The binding is glued to a cut and stapled interior, a somewhat odd perfect-bound derivative.

Very cool Facel Bentley one-off coupe, left, is oddly positioned on the inside cover. Contents page with masthead info is at the bottom of this first right-hand page. I haven't found much information at all online about this publication, but I always love having the first of anything. Typical interior pages below. Besides the listings of cars on each page, there are a few longer articles interspersed throughout.

Pages 54-55, Italy—Two stunning Siata specials.

Pages 66-67, England—Now classic Allards, left and right.

Pages 120-21, America—Dodge and the somewhat lesser-known Fina Sport. The what? I've never heard of it either! 

U P D A T E — One of my awesome readers furnished me with this link to the Fina Sport above, The first car in this article looks like the one on the page above. Very interesting construction using domestic platforms and drivetrains with bespoke, and gregarious coach-built, bodies, Vignale being the designer of the example posted.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this -- I've never seen or heard of this publication. I love the cover -- the contrast of the Aston Martin and the Ford on the cover is genius. The Ford convertible was probably about the sportiest American car you could buy in 1951 -- unless the Nash-Healey was available in 1951. In any event, the difference in styles between the US and the UK is remarkable. That Aston-Martin is something I've always liked -- every line on it is just right. I've always liked the 51 Ford too -- my brother had a black two-door sedan (Tudor in Ford speak) and the 51 Ford dashboard is a favorite. As to the Fina, I think that is a Pinin Farina design perhaps on an American chassis -- I'll have to unearth my Dalton-Watson Pinin Farina book to be sure but I know I've seen that car before.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. CASEY, WHAT CAR ARE YOU GOING TO DRIVE WHEN YOU GO TO HEAVEN? IT'S HAS TO BE YOUR SUNDAYS BEST.LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fina - was Perry Fina. Body was by Vignale.

    http://www.american-automobiles.com/Fina-Sport.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Anonymous! I'll update the entry with this link.

    Granny-whatever car I choose is going to have to be fireproof! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEVER, YOUR ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS.

    IN FACT INSTEAD OF PETER MEETING YOU AT THE GOLDEN GATES IT'LL BE THE BIG GUY FOR SURE AND I'LL BE AT HIS SIDE HOLDING YOUR HAND AND SAYING COME ON IN, YOUR MOM, DAD AND HOOHOO ARE WAITING AT THE CAR DEALER FOR YOU. THEY'LL BE GIVING YOU YOUR WINGS THERE. FREE OF CHARGE. NO KIDDING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. The DB2 looks like an awesome machine to me. Astons have always been one of my favorites, especially their convertibles.

    Too bad David Brown passed on and didn't see the major turn around the company has made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to do a double take, I thought that was me in that '51 Ford. Probably is me chasing after X in his blood red Aston Martin. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. that would have been a sight to see!

    I remember Tipi Hedren drove a convertible Aston Martin like this in The Birds. Hitchcock always had highly desirable and highly stylized cars in his movies. They add so much to the character development he is famous for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I watch movies that use automobiles in a variety of ways I think of you Casey and how wonderful it is that you probably know each and everyone, adding to the viewing pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "To Catch a Thief" Grace Kelly driving a Sunbeam Alpine Roadster.

    http://wmspear.com/bill/STA//images.html

    ReplyDelete