Monday, September 27, 2010

Another PIece of the Puzzle

Day Five of the "Where in the world IS everything?" project in the attic, and I've found the deco cobalt vase I was looking for. I don't know the history of this piece, it's one that I bought from a dealer 25 years ago, as opposed to being a family piece. I was drawn by the color, and the design. I love the vertical ribs all the way around the vase, and the chromed aluminum coil at the bottom. The piece is nine inches across, and I have an antique clear glass "frog" that fits perfectly in the bottom with a dozen holes in it to hold flower stems. 

I'm not sure if that's the correct term for the device used in flower arranging, but it's what my grandmother called them. I have several of them in different sizes, with various numbers of holes in them. I also have the more modern wire type, but I prefer the glass ones. It felt really good when I FINALLY got to the bottom of yet another carton of tightly wrapped antique glasses and figurines and realized my long-lost vase was there.

Pollution: It's a Crying Shame
In the background on the right side, is an original anti-pollution poster from 1970, the Native American with a tear in his eye, Iron Eyes Cody. To read his 1999 obituary which ran in the LA Times, click here. It's a very good read. My Dad had that poster hanging by his workbench from 1970 until he died in 1986, always reminding people to take care of this world and recycle and not to waste precious resources. 

Well, except for big and powerful gas-hungry cars like the Cadillac, the GTO, the Thunderbird, the LTD Brougham, the Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, lol... The man loved cars, what can I say! : )

5 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful piece not only in color but in design. I can see why you picked it. Also the way you set up the shot is very appealing with the balance of color and shapes and design. I really like it. I feel like I am standing in MOMA in front of an exhibit.

    Well I enjoyed a brisk day in the valley watching my grandson play football. Or rather watching his #10 jersey run around the field. I think I need field glasses I felt so far away from the action, lol He always says, "Thank you grandma for coming and watching me play". The things we do for love.

    See you tomorrow, sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annie! and take it from me, your grandson is touched that you go see him play and will remember that expression of love always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, you staged this piece perfectly! Annie said it right, it looks like an exhibit in MOMA. What a exquisite vase - my taste to a "T". So glad you unearthed it.
    I competed in my school's science fairs in 7th and 8th grades. My 8th grade entry was on pollution and recycling - and I remember this Iron Eyes Cody ad (who can forget that tear?) being a part of my report. I won the grand prize in our school that year, and went on to finish 2nd in the regionals. Pollution was a big issue back in the early 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY FAVORITE COLORS AND THAT PIECE WOULD LOOK GREAT ON MY DINNINGROOM TABLE................

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHENEVER I WOULD SEE IRON EYES CODY IN THE ADD ON TV BACK IN THE DAY I WOULD ALWAYS GET A TEAR IN MY EYE. ALSO, BECAUSE IT ALWAY MADE ME SICK TO THINK HOW WE HAVE RUIN OUR MOTHER EARTH. I THINK THAT ADD WILL FOREVER BE WITH ME. NOTHING MAKES ME MORE UPSET THAN SEEING SOMEONE THROW THEIR CIGARETTE BUTTS ON THE GROUND.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete