Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Stroller Down Memory Lane

My Aunt Hoohoo, born in 1925, in her wicker baby carriage. Check out the "porthole" windows set in the sides of the top. They were just like the ones in the mid 1950s 2 seater Thunderbird, one of Hoohoo's favorite cars, although she only owned the later, larger, 4 seater versions. I've often wondered if there was any connection! There was a matching doll carriage, albeit without the portholes, for my mother to take her dollies for a stroll alongside her mother as my grandmother pushed Hoohoo in the full sized carriage.

How do I know this? I still own both of them, of course. I went up to the attic today and shot the photos below. Both carriages need a bit of work, but for being close to 90 years old, they're still pretty decent, almost proud looking. One of these days I'll bring them down and clean them up a bit, but for now they like their quiet spot in the attic, I know. 

Speaking of their quiet attic, I have an arrangement with the spirits that live here with me: I leave the attic alone for them at night; I only go up there during the day. I'm not the only one that has heard footsteps, hushed voices and quiet laughter coming from the attic after dark. I really think they like me and all of my antiques. I'm pretty sure previous renters haven't been quite so accommodating, in fact I know the previous tenants left because it creeped them out. All photos clickable to see in greater detail.

The same baby carriage today. The original velvet upholstery was taken out decades ago, probably from moth or mouse damage in my family home's attic. The small glass windows, or Isinglass more likely, are missing from the portholes, but the rest of it is pretty darn intact.

The matching 3/4-scale doll carriage. I keep an old Teddy Bear inside this doll carriage.The antique dolls are downstairs.

5 comments:

  1. CASEY, I'M UP LATE TONIGHT.I HAD A NAP LATE. DECIDED TO CHECK IN TO SAY GOODNIGHT AND WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THIS PICTURE. WE HAD A CARRIAGE IN OUR ATTIC WHEN I GREW UP. I FEEL IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE ONE MY MOM HAD FOR MY SISTER THAT DIED AT SEVEN. IT LOOKED ALMOST LIKE YOURS. AGAIN,I DIDN'T LIKE THE ATTIC AFTER DARK.I WAS ALWAYS SCARED AND THE ATTIC DOOR WAS IN MY BEDROOM. WHY MOM MADE ME SLEEP UPSTAIRS AND DOWN THE LONG HALLWAY I JUST DON'T KNOW BUT I WAS SO SURE SOMETHING WAS IN THAT ATTIC.MOM AND DAD KNEW I WAS SCARED BUT I GUESS THEY KNEW I WOULD FALL ASLEEP.THEY ALWAYS MADE MY BROTHER GO UP AND GO TO BED AT THE SAME TIME BUT HE COULD COME DOWN STAIRS AFTER I SETTLED DOWN. I STILL DON'T LIKE THE DARK AFTER ALL THIS TIME. I HAVE NIGHTLIGHTS ALL OVER THE HOUSE.

    GOOD NIGHT CASEY. SEE YOU TOMORROW.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sleep with the lights on, Granny. I've slept like that for the past 35 years I'd say, ever since I lived on my own. I turn it down to the lowest setting, but never off. I have nightlights on in the rooms I don't use. I can't stand to be in the dark. Good Night to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing that you have these items and , to me anyway, it is even more amazing that someone during that time period could afford such wonderful luxuries..that carriage is SO pretty! I'm glad it's in your care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt "HooHoo"? What is that short for? It sounds a little dirty now. Old-fashioned names were pretty cool to my ears...I had a great uncle Rollo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoohoo is the name I gave her... We didn't move back to the States until I was three, and I didn't really speak until a bit after that. The story goes that when we showed up at her house, my grandmother yelled "Yoohoo, they're home, come down here!" and I assumed her name was Yoohoo but could only get out Hoohoo. Her real name was Gloria Isabel Sanborn Shain.

    Mare: I couldn't afford them today, that's for sure! : )

    ReplyDelete