Sunday, September 26, 2010

Early Comic Books Perfect for Artandcolour!

Mystery Men Comics, No. 25, August 1941. Fox Publications.
This issue featured The Blue Beetle and The Green Mask. Check out the back ad, too. It's a 12 oz bottle of cola (with Vitamin B1!) and is advertised as "enough for two." These days our American fat-asses routinely order 48-60-72 oz super-sized drinks, and that's for the children! Great graphics here.

Smash Comics, No. 15, October 1940. Published by E. M. Arnold.
This issue featured The Ray among many other characters in several stories, including Abdul the Arab, Bozo the Robot, Magno, Wings Wendall, Purple Trio and many others. The back ad features the "sensational new Daisy 1000-shot Red Ryder Cowboy Carbine." Yessiree, Bob, only $2.95.

Wonder World Comics, No. 17, September 1940. Fox Publications.

This issue featured The Flame, as well as Yarko the Great, Spark Stevens, Dr. Fung, K-51 Spies at War and several characters. These "almost" wartime comics feature a lot of spy stories. The back cover ad is a house ad for Fox's other comic books of the time, all with great covers, great art, great colors and a ten cent cover price!

Super Spy, No. 2, November 1940. Centaur Publications.

This issue featured several spies, the title character, Super Spy, S. S. Swanson, The Inner Circle, The Drew Ghost, The Night Hawk, Dean Denton scientific adventurer, and several more spies. On a lighter note, the centerfold is called "Laughits" and are short jokes with very cartoony illustrations for the younger readers. The back cover ad is that classic comic book look of approximately fifty tiny ads with absolutely microscopic type advertising "how to throw your voice," "live chameleons and turtles," "wonderful home X-Rays," "balanced throwing knife," and "blank cartridge pistol," among other "toys" for your 1940s child!!!

M  Y  C O L L E C T I O N — I found these four comic books in a small box, unopened from our Leete's Island home, sold in 1985. I also have a small collection of other vintage comics, perhaps fifty or so, mostly from the '50s and '60s. I didn't know about these four until today. Also in the box were three full color catalogs for the mid 1950s line of American Flyer Trains by A. C. Gilbert, which also featured their Erector Sets and Chemistry Sets. Gilberts was located in New Haven, and Hoohoo worked for them for a short time during this period.

8 comments:

  1. Two things I wanted as a kid and never got, a BB gun and a chemistry set, both deemed too dangerous by my parents for me to possess.

    You know you could put your eye out, with both actually. So I had to wait until I was in high school before I could dabble in chemical reactions and test tubes. It didn't seen as exciting when I actually got to do it. Seemed I spend most of my time memorizing the Periodic Table. I guess that information is somewhere tucked away in my brain, but it is really hidden.

    I seem to remember Captain Marvel and Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early Captain Marvels and early Supermans would be worth trillions, lol. Of course, I don't have those. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD MORNING

    CATCH YOU ALL LATER. MY CHURCH SERVICE IS ON.A LOCAL CHURCH OUT OF LARGO. IT ALWAYS GIVES ME A WONDERFUL FEELING FOR A LEAST ONE HOUR OF THE WEEK.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOW THAT I'M REFRESHED FOR THE WEEK LET ME GET MY GROOVE ON. I'M SURE MY BROTHERS BOUGHT A COMIC OR TWO. TO BAD WE DON'T HAVE THEM TODAY. I JUST DON'T REMEMBER THEM.I KNOW I WANTED A BIKE SO BAD AND NEVER GETTING ONE UNTIL I WAS AROUND 12. THEN THE VERY NEXT DAY MY YOUNGEST BROTHER TOOK IT APART AND MADE A BIKE FOR TWO. NOTHING WAS EVER SAID TO HIM ABOUT DOING THAT BUT I WAS VERY UPSET. I CAN'T REMEMBER BUT I DO SEE A SECOND BIKE BECAUSE I THINK I GOT HIT BY A CAR RIDING ONE. ALL I REMEMBER WAS WAKING UP LAYING NEXT TO MY DAD AND WONDERING WHAT HAPPEN TO ME. I KNOW I GOT MAD AT MY MOM FOR SOMETHING AND JUMPED ON A BIKE AND TOOK OFF AND MAKING IT TO THE CORNER. I DON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING AFTER THAT. CHILDHOOD WAS SUCH, FUN DON'T YOU KNOW? SOME THINGS YOU WANT TO FORGET AND SOME THINGS YOU WANT TO REMEMBER FOREVER LIKE YOUR FIRST KISS. YUM, YUM. MINE WAS IN A CLOSET WITH BOBBY WE WERE PLAYING SPIN THE BOTTLE. THERE WERE FOUR OF US. IT WAS HIS BIRTHDAY. AFTER THE BOTTLE WOULD POINT TO ONE OF US, THE PERSON WOULD GET UP AND GO INTO THE CLOSET AND GET A KISS AND COME OUT GIGGLING.I STILL THINK OF BOBBY TILL THIS DAY. WE WERE GOOD FRIENDS ALL THROUGH SCHOOL. I WAS ABOUT 10, 11,OR 12 FOR THAT KISS.

    HOW ABOUT YOURS?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE HAVE TO WATCH OUR WEATHER FOR NEXT WEEK. HURRICANE SEASON.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red Ryder was an actually brand? I thought it was fictional for the movie, Christmas Story. lol

    You'll shoot your eye out kid!!!!

    Love that movie!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ordered a family of Sea-Monkeys from the back of a comic book.

    The father didn't smoke a pipe and they didn't all sit at the table for dinner.

    ReplyDelete