Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Joyful Days

I call this digital image "Pure Joy." I'm not even sure who it is anymore. At one of the car forums I used to read, one of the other contributors posted this photo of himself at the age of 2 or so, behind the wheel of the family car, obviously in his element. There is just something about little boys and cars that's a natural. I cleaned up the photo and added a filter or two to show the speed he was probably going in his head at the time! I posted it at that forum back then, so he has it; I just can't remember who it was.

The joy of a puppy on my Dad's destroyer during WW2. I've posted other versions of this particular afternoon aboard ship on my blog in the past. I have photos with 3, 4, 5, and 6 sailors present, and some with my Dad in the group—though he must have been taking this photo. I bet all these young guys loved that puppy to pieces, being so far from home and their loved ones. This image is from a color slide, not as well-preserved as most of the ones I have. I have no idea who any of my Dad's fellow sailors were.

Three friends of mine from college. We were hanging out in a part of the campus called Sunset Hill, overlooking a small lake. The lake is usually the backdrop for graduations, and Sunset Hill behind it is usually in full bloom of cherry and apple trees if graduation is early enough in May. I graduated on my 22nd birthday, and have no idea if the trees were out or not, lol. I love this photo not only because we were all such good friends, and still are albeit by email now, but each one of them has an expression on their faces that is the way I remember each person. This was a joyful day for sure.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Casey, yes interesting eyes. All, yours and mine, were light colored. I will have to search for some dark eyes. They are hard to find in my family though, only my mother.

    I love eyes and the story they tell.

    I just watched "Seven", Freeman/Pitt/Paltrow.... interesting at the end the credits ran in reverse, top to bottom. Don't think I have ever seen that done before.

    Tomorrow, then... sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone in my family had blue eyes. my dads were the lightest, mine are more gray. but my mother's were almost totally clear blue, she didn't have many 'flecks' at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THE PICTURE OF YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS.THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN OLD FRIENDS. ALL OF MINE GO BACK TO FIRST GRADE. ISN'T THAT GRAND? I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU KIDS WERE TALKING ABOUT IN THIS PICTURE.
    I CAN REMEMBER PURE JOY THE FIRST TIME I DROVE MY DAD CAR ALONE.HE LET ME TAKE IT TO MY BEST FRIENDS HOUSE WHICH WAS ABOUT 5 OR 6 MILES AWAY. BOY DID I THINK I WAS BIG STUFF. I BET I HAD THE SAME LOOK ON MY FACE AS THIS CHILD. LOL

    I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT SHIP YOUR DAD WAS ON.DID YOU EVER TELL US? WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT MY BROTHER COULD HAVE BEEN ON THE SAME SHIP. [THE MISSOURI]

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny: My dad was on several ships. The only one I know about, right now, is the USS Goodrich. I'll have to do some research one of these days!

    ReplyDelete