Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dollies Say "Hi"

This adorable vintage doll is sitting on an equally vintage wrought-iron doll stroller. She's sitting in front of my grandfather's World War One service proclamation from 1919 signed by President Woodrow Wilson. She's missing whatever clothing she came with, so you'll see she's wearing a fashionable striped pencil skirt and a wrapped cowl-necked blouse, matching the stroller upholstery, lol. I'll find something more fitting and appropriate one of these days. I have a bunch of vintage material I think I'll have someone sew into a little sundress for her.

These two dolls, dating to about 1920, are reading Mother Goose stories to each other, and their Teddy Bear. They're attired in their original, albeit tattered, clothes, a little cotton nightgown on the left, and a sort of sailor suit/romper on the right. You can't even touch the material on either one or your finger will go right through.

Click on each photo to see their cute little faces, and the DUST, in greater detail!

8 comments:

  1. Is this National Doll Day? Too funny I just posted a doll blog myself of my mother's doll, perhaps 109 years old. This is the only doll I have, all my dolls were tossed out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. CASEY. I STILL HAVE MY DOLLS FROM CHILDHOOD. ONE OF THEM LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ONE IN THE BACKGROUND AND MY TEDDY IS OLD, ALSO. MY AUNT FINALLY GAVE IT TO ME BEFORE SHE DIED. I THINK I TOLD YOU THAT STORY HOW SHE WOULDN'T LET ME TAKE IT HOME BECAUSE THAT WAY I WOULD ALWAYS COME BACK TO STAY AND PLAY.HOW ABOUT THAT DOLL CHAIR. NEAT.

    ARE YOU GETTING ANY WORK DONE?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANNIE, WE MUST STOP MEETING LIKE THIS. LOL

    LET'S GO AND PLAY DOLLS AT CASEY'S HOUSE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm out of work for a few weeks, YAY!, so I'm going to be working on art and the blog. I just walked around town, it's absolutely gorgeous out today. Now I'm going up to the attic again. I've realized that I can't find an old doll that's actually in the best shape of all of them. I haven't seen it since I moved here. I also haven't seen my favorite cobalt blue art deco flower vase, so I'm going to go look through some boxes. I hope they didn't get lost or taken. Some of my old acquaintances were rather shady...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hip little tyke - I just saw that same pencil skirt on Project Runway! An the dust accessorizes it to a "T"! LOL!
    Very cool chair - is that a vintage stroller or a wheelchair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey - did you try the Easy, Easy Flan recipe from Marius yet? I was looking at the recipe today and thinking about trying it, I need to pick up some evaporated milk, only thing I am missing. Just curious if it turned out?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE the little black doll and the one holding the teddy (don't tell the other baby doll, ok?? don't want her to feel bad!!)
    X, I think you are correct...that is a wheelchair isn't it?
    Beautiful sunny Sunday here today..have a great one everybody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Similar to the WWII cartoons you posted a few weeks back, both dolls give a representation, fictional or not of what Americans looked liked back then.This was before Barbie dolls, which I personally feel should be banned from all cultures as it provided a false representation of self.(and lead the way to anorexia or BED (Binge Eating Disorder). American's back in the early part of the last century , during the war were more concerned about food on the plate since the market took a crash. As you can see these dolls looked a bit more rounder and healthier.

    ReplyDelete