Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Today in Les Fleurs

The Lemon Sunflowers live on. The second stalk has erupted into this bouquet-like cluster. I caught a bee in mid-hover about to land.

Click to enlarge this photo and you'll see not only the morning glories, and a hanging red geranium at the lower left, but near those red blooms are a few yellow flowers of my Lemon Cucumbers. They're climbing everywhere, including this cedar pole alongside the glories. When I had to thin out the initial two cucumber clumps, instead of throwing out the individual stems I pulled up, I planted them on the outside of the fence and they all took.

Growing on the top of the wire garden fence. I had great fun this summer weaving the burgeoning twisting vines and training them  to grow outwards.

8 comments:

  1. I used to be a bit leery of sunflowers when I was a kid. In the morning, we'd pass a house with a yard full of sunflowers and their faces would be pointed to the left. When we were done swimming in the afternoon, their faces were looking to the right. Could almost imagine them pulling up their roots and chasing us. Never happened, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marius - that's a funny story - I totally understand what your talking about !

    Casey - as always, another spectacular sunflower picture. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I GOT THIS E MAIL FROM MY BROTHER AND I GOT LAUGHING BECAUSE HALF OF MY COMMENTS LOOK LIKE THIS ONE.LOLLOLLOL LOVE YOU ALL.
    I cdnuolt blveiee
    taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
    phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at
    Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
    ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
    first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
    taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This
    is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
    istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

    GRANNY

    --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny, what is scarier, your brother writing a letter this way or me being able to read it in 2 seconds ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. DID YOU NOTICE THE PRETTY BLUE SKY IN THE BACKGROUND OF YOUR MORNING GLORIES ON THE POST. I DID. SO NICE. LOVELY. OH HOW I MISS MY FLOWER GARDENS. NOT ONE FLOWER THIS YEAR.

    PX, ACTUALLY IT WAS AN E MAIL HE GOT AND FORWARD IT TO ME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, your brother was the first one to sit down in a Spelling Bee?

    I was always runner-up to Alaina Blanchard.

    She got me on "coconut" one year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you added the 'a' at the end of cocoa-nut...

    "Mine" was Kim Bishop.

    Your writing is nowhere NEAR that bad, Granny. That gave me a headache! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I bet you added the 'a' at the end of cocoa-nut..."

    That was YOU in the back of the room? I knew that kid wearing lederhosen didn't go to the Hemenway.

    ReplyDelete