Monday, September 20, 2010

Back When I Had a Life, Part 77

Last week was Fashion Week in New York. This is when the world's designers come into Manhattan and show their next season's clothes. There are several fashion shows every day and night, parties you can't imagine, celebrities, models, paparazzi, limousines, you name it. It's a whirlwind week for designers, buyers, fashion editors and publishers, as well as for the city itself—fashionable restaurants, bars and clubs are even more fashionable that week. For quite a few years in the late '80s and early '90s I was part of it, actually receiving invitations to shows, such as Betsey Johnson's show illustrated above. I found this invitation yesterday as I was rummaging around in the attic. I still wear the T-shirt I received as a memento of the show, and if you had asked how old it was I probably would never have guessed 20 years. It's black and still looks like it did 20 years ago. If I could only say the same thing!

• For the Wiki on Fashion Weeks in general, click here.
• For the Wiki on New York's Fashion Week, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Good day, Casey. You and I rummaging lol, though I don't have an attic, I do have dust. Boy have I been sneezing. I did come up with a little tidbit I think you will enjoy over at my place.

    I haven't even been down to pick up the mail yet... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANCING WITH THE STARS IS ON. YOU KNOW SOMETHING. I MAY JUST GO DANCING LATER. J/K

    I JUST WONDER WHAT AN EDSEL WOULD BRING IN TODAYS MARKET. IF IT HAD A FOOTREST I'D BUY ONE.J/K AGAIN.

    LOVE FASHION,I JUST NEVER BOUGHT FOR MYSELF. MONEY WENT ELSE WHERE. I REALLY DIDN'T LIKE THE SOCIAL CIRCLE. I ONLY WENT TO BUSINESS PARTIES FOR GRAMPS. TO FANCY FOR ME. I'LL ALWAY LIKE SIMPLE AND CASUAL.GIVE ME A CLAM BAKE ANY DAY. LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,

    Don't sell yourself short -- you have a life that is fascinating to many of your readers, including me. It may not be the life in the fast lane that you had in the past, but do you really miss that? We all make choices, don't we? I was a pretty wild child until LONG after I was a child, and I can look back with nostalgia and gratitude that I got to experience all that, even though most of the people I experienced it with are gone, but I doubt I have the energy to resume that sort of life even if there was a place for a 62 year-old to go and be wild!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete