Monday, September 20, 2010

Hello Dahlia 3

Yet another variety of dahlia has bloomed. This one is a deep burgundy, unless the sun is shining right on it as in this photo. Then it's a gorgeous, blood red with almost a purple in the center. This plant is going to have flowers that are more "spider" like than the pom-pom shapes of the dahlias that have been featured on this blog in earlier posts. There are still quite a few petals to unfurl, but I think it's going to stay fairly loose and open. This plant is about three feet tall now, and I'm hoping for a lot more flowers before the season ends.

Close-up view of the fuschia-colored dahlia, one of the "fraternal twins.' The bloom is just about three inches in diameter, and very full as you can see.


A longer view shows the "fraternal twins" location along the outside perimeter of the vegetable garden. They are about to be joined by a third bloom, lower right, which appears is going to be a solid color fuschia color. A few Striped German tomatoes can be seen in the background inside the garden. Just as a reminder, the red and yellow dahlia is planted around the perimeter also, just to the left of this plant.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THE RED ONE. I DON'T EVER REMEMBER SEEING ONE BEFORE. ALWAYS A FIRST FOR EVERYTHING. THE OTHERS ARE JUST AS PRETTY.WHEN THE LEAVES START TO CHANGE YOU'LL HAVE TO TAKE SOME PICTURES. I KNOW IT'S JUST BEAUTIFUL IN THE NORTH WHEN THEY TURN COLORS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too Granny, the man knows his gardening inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, it's all a learning process! i've been around flower gardeners my entire life, but this is the first year I ever attempted vegetables. I think next year's veggies will be a lot better because of what I've learned this year. i just came in from feeding them for the last time this year, probably, the tomatoes anyway. There aren't that many more to ripen. I'm hoping my flowers keep going for another couple of months though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, another beautiful display of your garden and flowers.
    I love the shape of the red dahlia, but it's hard to find fault with any of them. Looks like your winniing the battle with the tomatoes, there were alot left for you.

    ReplyDelete