Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seen in the Backyard Today

The small lavender-colored annual daisies next to the granite bench, are blooming profusely these days. I like the shadows of the daisies on the nasturtium leaves in this photograph.

A Lemon Cucumber is just about ready to be picked. I have one in the refrigerator, but I still haven't tasted it yet, lol. June says they're quite good, tasting pretty much like a regular cucumber, with just a slight lemon taste. I'll probably eat it today. They seem to grow to about the size of an apple. If I get many of them before we get our first frost, I think I'll make pickles out of them. I've never made pickles before but I've been looking through old recipes to see what I can find.

Seemingly floating in a sea of green, this orange Zinnia has been blooming for more than three weeks! It's nestled in between the six-foot Cosmos leaves to its right, and its fellow Zinnia leaves, almost five feet tall themselves, on the left. I'm not going to pick this one, I'm really curious as to just how long it will continue blooming.

2 comments:

  1. CASEY, THANK YOU FOR THE PRETTY PICTURES. I MISS HAVING FLOWERS IN MY YARD. GRAMPS DID PUT MULCH DOWN IN AN AREA IN FRONT OF THE LIVINGROOM WINDOW YESTERDAY. WHAT A DIFFERANT IT MAKES. IT JUST POPS THE HOUSE OUT. THE AREA IN FRONT OF THE DINNINGROOM WINDOW ALSO NEED SOMETHING DONE TO IT BUT WE HAVE TO COME UP WITH A DESIGN. MAYBE CEMENT, STONE OR WHATEVER. THE WATER RUNS OFF THE ROOF AND DRAINS INTO THIS AREA MAKING A POOL OF WATER AND NO WHERE TO FLOW. ALL IN TIME.
    A CUTE STORY,I WAS TALKING TO THE LITTLE BOY THAT LIVES NEXT DOOR [5TH GRADE] LAST NIGHT AND HE WAS SO SWEET. HE SAID TO ME THAT HE SAW GRAMPS WORKING SO HARD AND HE LOOKED TIRED. HE SAID, I WANTED TO COME OVER AND HELP HIM BUT I WAS AFRAID I'D GET IN HIS WAY. NOW, HOW SWEET IS THAT ONE. GIVES ME A LITLLE FAITH THAT JUST MAYBE ALL IS NOT LOST WITH THIS GENERATION. HE'S NAME IS JOEY ALSO. HOW ABOUT THAT. OUR MALTESE IS JOEY ALSO.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. GRANNY, THAT IS A WONDERFUL STORY ABOUT JOEY NEXT DOOR! WHAT A SWEET LITTLE BOY!

    I BET YOUR NEW HOME IS QUITE ATTRACTIVE! MY MOM IS 79 AND THIS WAS THE FIRST YEAR SHE DIDN'T PLANT FLOWERS ALL OVER HER YARD. IT'S MADE HER SO SAD ALL SUMMER. I TRY TO COMFORT HER AS BEST I CAN WITH WORDS. SHE'S 3400 MILES FROM ME. I KNOW YOU WOULD PLANT A YARD FULL OF FLOWERS IF YOU WERE ABLE, TOO! :)

    ReplyDelete