Saturday, September 4, 2010

Perfect Place for a Game of Croquet

Another view of the white picket fence and red Rugosa roses. common along the shoreline. They're grown for their long flowering season and their almost indestructible roots, providing much-needed erosion control to landscapes buffeted by frequent offshore breezes. Their simple elegance is a plus! This sideyard is perfectly square, and almost as smooth as the nearby golf course's greens. The strong concrete retaining wall holds off the Sound, which is only 6-8 steps down from this yard. I could play Croquet here everyday! 

Notice the granite reefs on the left, very common along the Connecticut shore, and the simply-moored boats just offshore. It's not uncommon to see 50-100 pairs of seagulls and cormorants huddled together on those small granite "islands" during the breeding season. We have the very occasional harbor seal or two that visits, and believe it or not, last week a very friendly, somewhat lost Manatee was photographed in the harbor of the town next to mine. 

This summer home also has a perfect lawn for Croquet. This house is a mere ten feet from its cement retaining wall and steps down to the water. The recently sided cedar shingles will eventually mellow to a nice grayish brown, if allowed to. Many homeowners don't seem to appreciate the warmth and elegance of a slightly weathered beach house, and frequently re-shingle to keep their places looking 'new and fresh.' Many of these homes are only used on the weekends, and only in the summer. 

B O N U S   P H O T O  : )
The now-identified dinner plate-sized Hibiscus (thank you PX!) growing a few houses a way from the scene above, seen with the sun behind it. Look at how thin and translucent the huge petals appear! We've had a lot of rain from the remnants of Hurricane Earl, now only a Tropical Storm as it races towards Cape Cod and Nantucket, and I'm pretty sure these huge flowers will be the worse for it. I'm glad I took all of these photos this week before the rains came. 

8 comments:

  1. ME TOO LOVE THESE PICTURES.I JUST GOT UP AND OF COURSE I ALWAY COME TO SAY HELLO TO CASEY AND ALL MY BB'S.SOME MORNING I GET TO SLEEP A LITTLE LATER BUT JOEY WILL BARK AT GRAMPS FOR HIS MORNING FEAST AND ALWAYS WAKES ME IF I DON'T GET UP. HE'S MORE HUMAN THAN DOG. MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE HE GETS SO MUCH ATTENTION.ISN'T THAT GRAND TO BE LOVE SO MUCH.I STILL LOVED THE FENCE PICTURE. I COULD ENJOY LIVING THERE. I DON'T LOOK LIKE A HAG ANYMORE. GRAMPS DROVE ME BACK WHERE WE USED TO LIVE AND MY HAIRDRESSER CUT MY LONG LOCKS FINALLY. FIRST TIME I HAD HAIR BELOW MY EARS AND NECKLINE IN FIFTY YEARS.YUK YUK YUK.NOW IF I HAD ONE OF CASEY'S FLOWERS TO PUT BEHIND MY EAR JUST MAYBE I'D GET A LOOK OR TWO. LOL PUT SOME SUNSHINE IN YOUR ON YOUR FACE AND HUMOR ON YOUR TONGUE.

    GRANNY

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S NINE O'CLOCK TIME FOR ONE STROKE PAINTING WITH DONNA DEWBERRY THEN TEN IS WATER PAINTING. SO THE NEXT TWO HOURS I'LL BE BUSY.LOVE THESE SHOWS.I'VE BEEN WATCHING THEM FOR YEARS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy your TV art shows, granny! Tampa's right on the water, isn't it? my grandmother spent one winter in Tampa, 1963 I think. I have 50-60 postcards she bought but never sent, just kept them in an envelope.

    it seems like it will be a beautiful day today, the storm took away all the humidity and the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES CASEY IT IS ON THE WATER BUT I LIVE EAST OF THE CITY. I HAVEN'T SEEN THE BEACHES IN FOUR OR FIVE YEARS. SAD HUH?

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning All.

    The bonus photo looks like it could be an inspiration for a Philip Treacy hat... like he needs extra inspiration.

    I am moving into the house with the picket fence, end of season croquet party at my place. Codes Vestimentairs: long white skirts and long white pants. Guys can wear skirts if they wish and sigh....yes, Casey can wear his usual uniform. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, apparently you watched that episode of Project Runway too ! I definitely would prefer a hibiscus hat over his orchid hat !

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol exactly, the orchid hat? what was he thinking!

    ReplyDelete